Turbo Boost Gauge needle flutter

petrolhead63

Having done various jobs the truck is going really well. I have also fitted a boost gauge whilst at it but the needle flutters wildly to the stop when working hard on the throttle/turbo. If I gently build up I can get it to read nicely.

It is taken off the little pipe running from the intercooler hose to the electric vacuum control thingy!

I have the supplied plastic hose at the dashboard end and from the Tee piece up to near the ABS pump but then copper brake pipe along the bulkhead...all looks very tidy :D

Does anybody have any tips as to how to dampen the gauge.................my motorbike carb balance gauges have little restrictors on the pipes to stop flutter...Can I buy them and does that do the job?

You have posted in the Discovery forum, so presumably this is some form of Discovery.

If you say which sort, and which engine is fitted, then people might be able to make sense of what you mean by "the electric vacuum control thingy!".

It may also help if you can attach some pictures.

In short, you dampen the pulsations by including a 'section change' in the pipework.

When I installed a mechanical pressure gauge, sold as a line pressure gauge for an oxy-acetylene welding set, I used rubber screen wash piping from a Volvo car. My 'section change' device was to stuff a dead matchstick down the pipe just before the pipe was attached to the gauge. The square section matchstick in the round section hose provided enough restriction to dampen the pulsations.

Regards.

Ah, yes sorry Disco 2 TD5. The control "thingy" is actually I think a pressure modulator turbo control, Disco's have them the defender does not for some reason.

I tried the match stick and still flickered but better, so decided to gradually crimp the copper pipe end until it settled down nicely...had it working by bending back a kink on the plastic pipe and wrapping a cable tie on to hold it. It slipped but proved it would work.

I seem to be getting about 17psi max boost which seems a little high but no ill effect so best left alone I suspect!

the fluttering is the turbo modulator cutting in and out, mine does the same and it just proves its doing its job, maintaining boost. If you take the small pipe from the intercooler pipe and run it directly to the wastegate actuator you will see the boost needle will not flicker because the wastegate will let a bit of boost past quite early allowing it to look smooth but you will notice a difference in performance. Think of the turbo modulator as an electronic "dawes device" http://dawes-devices.com/