serious nut and bolt storage ideas

Gazzar

As I'm slowly getting all my stuff in to one place I am struck by just how many nuts, blots, studs and washers I have. There must be close to a ton of parts.

And, of course, I can never find what I want when I need it, so I need to move away from the crates and buckets that have served me so poorly in the past.

What do you do for bolt storage? My current plan is to get a big tool chest set and fill it, trying to get one with dividers so that I can keep them separate. What other approaches are there?

with the quantity and weight you are talking about, a metal industrial shelf unit with pull out drawer/box with divider set when you can remove and take away a bin or two at a time to the job.

i.e m8 nuts drawer/box and m8 bolt drawer/box. Not linbins they are just a faff.

something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Industrial-metal-drawers-storage-vintage/262507408953?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37255%26meid%3D554e37bf474642589a5cc50da70176c9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D331891833975

I looked at those , but i read Gazzar is talking a tonne of fastenings :blink: . From my experience the plastic ones are good for smaller sizes m3-m6 but you cant get much in them when you get up to m12x100. Think it was screwfix who do a nice metal carry case for their turbogold screws but the empty case sells for nearly as much as a full one.

I used to work on site with fitters and they had a few of the divider cases, remember one day when they had been using them to fit a 19" rack out and one chap picks up the case by the handle not seeing the lid had only been dropped to. Much swearing ensued and about 2 hours of sorting out the m3/m4/m5/m6 contents on the floor. plain, washers, spring washers, serrated washers, nuts, nylocs, etc. :rofl:

I'm coming around to thinking that an inexpensive roll cab would fit the bill, allow me to store the weird as well as the mundane, as pete3000 suggests - about the only thing that can cope with a couple of dozen series wheel nuts.

I think a Halfords visit is on the cards.

I've tried linbins, not convinced.

They take a lot of wall space, and unless they at or are below waist level you can't see into them. I'll use the linbins for odd stuff like brake fittings, and R clips, but for nuts and bolts, mobile trays with dividers will work better, I think.

Now, just need to wait for a halfrauds sale.

G.

We have industrial draws at work, works ok, the washers go under the dividers sometimes and it's a pain if you want to add a size. The more closed the bin is the cleaner the contents stays. We use metal tote bins for heavier stuff, pricey though.

At home I group them into thread sizes in draws as I don't have that much, you still have to do some scratting about but it's more organised.

Being a real scrooge, when I tackled this problem I bought at a yard sale a three drawer wooden chest, bedroom type, with drawers about 8" deep. I then cut down the polythene 2 litre and 4 litre milk cartons that we get, using the smaller ones for the smaller items. Advantages are that the height of each container is up to me, allowing small containers to be stacked, eg bolt, flat washer, spring washer and nut, all of one size, it's easy to add containers, and individual containers can easily be taken to the job site. I also use these for all my nails and screws, and it works very well.

Mike

I've done the milk cartons, and tetra packs, after a while they start to decay, and I'd rather spend the time on the Landrover, than do the job twice.

I'm a reformed Scrooge, having slowly come to the conclusion that sometimes spending money is the cheapest way to get a long term result.

So, permanent solution.

Not full price, of course, but good kit is worth good money. I've nearly locked down my decision: big industrial cab from Halfords, some laser cut dividers, maybe in stainless, and I should be good.

All mobile, all solid all sorted.

G.

I've done the milk cartons, and tetra packs, after a while they start to decay, and I'd rather spend the time on the Landrover, than do the job twice.

I'm a reformed Scrooge, having slowly come to the conclusion that sometimes spending money is the cheapest way to get a long term result.

So, permanent solution.

Not full price, of course, but good kit is worth good money. I've nearly locked down my decision: big industrial cab from Halfords, some laser cut dividers, maybe in stainless, and I should be good.

G.

So, permanent solution.

G.