starter motor issue

chewie2

i changed the front brake pads on my 1997 200tdi and when i tried to start it after i just got a loud clicking noise from the starter solenoid. i've had this before with other 4x4's but it just turned out to be a loose connection, I've checked all the terminals at the starter motor and they seem fine. I've never had starting problems before, always fired up first turn of the key. any suggestions?

Agreed either flat battery or poor earth, for a start the battery is on the wrong bloody side - furthest point from the alternator and starter motor :angry2: if you ever have the time switch it to the passenger side, not a hard thing to do and secondly in my experience the single earth strap to the chassis is insufficient as it can corrode and give a poor connection, run a separate earth cable from the chassis earth point back to the battery earth lug, your problems should be over.