grumbling / whinning noise

m0hxt

Hi all i have a 2005 td4 freelander with 135000 on the clock in a a grumbling/ whinning noise which i think is coming from the back. so far I first checked the oil in the rear diff and that was ok . Then i removed the porpshaft to eliminate that but it made no difference. the noise is there most when i get up to about 30mph and is at it loudest when i take my foot of the accelerator.if i go faster lets say 60 mph i can not hear it.

it may be the rear diff how do i make sure it is the diff and not a wheel bearing or i may be completely wrong and it not coming from the back any good tips on how to locate a noise like would be most appreciated.

I now i can just keep changing part and hope i find it but that is a very expensive way to go about it please help

• Like 1

Can not fell any play so I have just ordered a recon diff to try first as my old one is leaking oil

I will fit it and do a little road test.

If it is still there after that I will order two new drive shafts.

I will be replacing all the bushes at the same time just as well.

Thank you for your help

pretty sure you will have to take the bearings out (no cv on back) and the halfshafts to do the diff so you will find out if they are grinding anyway.

I would do anything related since you don't want to have to take it all off again just to for the sake of saving a small amount of money