AT2 General Grabber Tyres

Hi, welcome to the forum.

You might have to further clarify "float off".

But I've recently got a set of AT2's on my Camel Discovery which is carrying some extra weight due to the roll cage etc. and I've noticed that unless the tyres are near there max inflation (44psi) the truck kinda wobbles about like a jelly on a plate... not the best feeling for steering I must admit... I've just changed all the front end anti roll bar bushes and changed the radius arm bushes too to see if that makes the feel more acceptable... if it doesn't I'll be changing the tyres. - I've not experienced this on other brands of tyre.

Firstly, I'd double check all of the suspension springs, bushes, bolts and shocks. Its possible that everything is taut while you have the power on and the play becomes evident when you slack off... Might be a broken spring or shock? As Maverick says, check the tyre pressures and maybe play around with them a bit too?

On the AT2's.... I didn't like them, particularly in the wet, so much so that I made it a mission to wear them down promptly so I could change them. I had hoped that they might be similar to BFG AT's but that was not the case.

As above check the suspension and steering components first. Wayward steering on lift off is normally a worn/ loose track rod end. As well as movement in the joint itself, also check for movement in the screw thread into the track rod. Some of the aftermarket track rods available have not been tapped correctly, and seem ok with the lock nut tightened, but with use loosen.

cheers, Steve

In addition to the above I would check the steering box for play too and wheel bearings.

When I changed the pickup from the stock bridgestone dueler ht to cooper discover at3 I really noticed an increase in vagueness in the steering, especially in cornering where it felt like the tyres were tucking under. I had to change how I drove. I assume they use a softer rubber for better grip, if you know anyone locally with a land rover it might be worth seeing if they will let you swap to a stock set of wheels & tyres just to narrow down the fault.

My front 2 coopers have cracked on the wall about 10mm up from the bead around about 1/4 of the tyre on and off, I've sent them back in the hope of a warranty exchange which of course mean't buying new tyres so I could use the car in the meantime... I'm not holding my breath :angry2:

I was under the truck and just got hold of the bumper and waggled, I was quite disturbed by how much the vehicle just bobbled back and forth just on the pad of the tyre, nothing to do with any wiggly bushes etc... they've always looked quite soft, but I thought it was just me...

If it's the one in the photo it's probably the sheer weight of modifications!

Have you really bought that 110?

AT2's should be fine on the road, and if it's the one in the picture those aren't especially big tyres.

1st things 1st, check the tyre pressures.

We fit around 600 General Grabber AT2's a year to new vehicles, and have done since around 2009, we also supply about 400 a year for vehicles already in service.

I've driven them on and off road on various continents, in all weathers, and never had an issue. I only get good reports from the users.

We are running at between 4000kg and 5200kg gvw with ~60psi pressures

From personal experience of defender ownership I'd suggest any vagueness in the handling is probably down to the vehicle, not the tyre :)

• 4 months later...

I've done well over 100k km on one set of General Grabber 265/75/R16 AT2 with no problems at all.  I admit that I don't like them in snow, and in winter I then change to a 205/80 profile, despite my AT2  being legally compliant here, ie Snowflake and Mountain symbol.  If there is any problem with the steering it certainly should not be due to the tires.

Mike