D2 PAS pipe ends

joe1

Just changing the steering box and pipes on a TD5 for replacements (the pipes were sourced from a breaker's TD5 - though I didnt see the vehicle they came off - and the box itself from a different v8 D2).

If you've taken the PAS pipes off the box before you might be able to answer my question. The interesting thing is that the end of the new HP pipe where it goes into the box appears to be a litle 'bent' (here:)

009_zpsbq7rijq2.jpg

(I took the smaller 'o' ring off to show the pipe more clearly). But the old one looks like this:

005_zps3deszp2x.jpg

Still stuck inside the old steering box is what looks like might have come off the end of the pipe - but its all solid in there and I can't easily extract it. So, simple question is: does the pipe in the first photo look ok, it certainly fits snugly right in on a trial fit, but I don't want to reassemble everything (rad+intercooler as well) only to have fluid p*** out if its not right! Just that every previous pipe I've ever looked at has a straight end. (I have of course got new o' rings for the final assembly).

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

agree should be straight ,, grab a 8mm brill bit (snug ) fit in the hole heat and slowly straighten ,, ( use the drill bit back end not the sharp end )
It will straighten easy with just a little heat from a blow torch ,, or if you have a aircon (HVAC) mechanic close use the swager as a straightener works every time , the pipe gets bent trying to wiggle out the hole ,,

Just check that the end of the pipe is not an insert fron the old pump ,, looks like its pushed in the end of the pipe ,,,, ( dont know what the last owner did ,,, )
As it looks like a part from my swaging kit ,, the flare tool ??

Just check that the end of the pipe is not an insert fron the old pump ,, looks like its pushed in the end of the pipe ,,,, ( dont know what the last owner did ,,, )

As it looks like a part from my swaging kit ,, the flare tool ??

The possibility that the end is some kind of insert into the pipe was my first thought as well, because it would otherwise be a very odd pipe. As I say when I removed the pipe from my steering box it just came out (as in the 2nd pic) leaving something (the insert?) behind in the box itself. And the LR parts catalogue shows 2 O rings at the end of the pipe, so it looks like LR meant the 'insert' to come out with the pipe, otherwise its mighty difficult to get the O rings on the pipe. Since posting this I've not been back on it to check the pipe fitment - beyond popping it in a vice last week which seemed to straighten it out easily. Although before that I had tried the drill bit as a mandrel, but it seemed like it didn't want to move with that method. Perhaps as you say I should really pop it over to my local hydraulics place before re-fitting. And if I find out a definitive answer I'll update this post later, cheers

• Like 1

would be a good idea ,, can you see into the hole that your pipe came out ,,?
it may give a clue ,, i have a set of pipes in the shed it dont have the extra bit on it the original "O" ring is Green (just 1 ) i believe green is hi temp "O" ring >Let us know how you get on ,,
Rob