Painting propshaft??

SteveG

I think I heard/read somewhere that it's not advisable to paint propshafts, due to risk of putting them out of balance. Is this correct, or just urban myth? Can a coat of paint really cause that much of an issue?

Expert advice wanted please, and if correct, how do you get them refurbished?

Cheers

Steve

Maybe on an F1 car but I don't think I'd worry about anything Land Rover make as long as you're not painting it with brush on bitumen. The actual weight of paint in a small spray can is pretty insignificant and if you apply it reasonably evenly, the weight imbalance is going to be minimal.

It's a real pain ordering parts from the UK because I have to specify "reverse rotational paint" and it always costs extra!

Many an Aussie has been caught out like this, thats why i have a 20ltr drum of anti-clockwise paint to repaint all my spares.

I have a tin of it, if you'd like to buy it. £200 per litre, but shipping is costly as it has to travel via both poles to be correctly magnetised, so that's £400 per litre. But I did put "4x4" on the label, so it's worth it.

Being where you are, i think you need a tin of each :o .

On 9/7/2016 at 2:52 PM, Snagger said:

I have a tin of it, if you'd like to buy it. £200 per litre, but shipping is costly as it has to travel via both poles to be correctly magnetised, so that's £400 per litre. But I did put "4x4" on the label, so it's worth it.

Thanks, but I just ordered a paint reversal system from eBay. It runs on magnets, I believe. It should be here soon because it only has to come from Hong Kong.