Freelander TD4 2002 problems

julieb08

I have a problem with my freelander. I have F4 flashing on my dash, which I think is a gearbox problem. Mine is an automatic which will not pull away in 1st gear, so I use manual 1st to pull away then switch to automatic. I have also developed another problem. Lots of smoke coming out of the rear when I start it up and more when I accelerate. The engine runs fine except for this smoke, I cannot see out of the rear window that's how bad it is. Can anyone help me find out what the problem is please. 

20 hours ago, Dorsetfreelander said:

Don't know about the gearbox but if the engine is rough to start and smoky and then is OK once warmed up look for a failed glowplug otherwise in the first instance I would be looking at an injector problem if it persists.

Ok thank you for this I will get it checked out. The engine is not rough though. \I did have a diagnostic test on it a week before this smoke problem happened and they told me the engine was in good condition??

19 hours ago, Glenlivet said:

The smoke sounds like a problem I had with a broken turbo hose, accompanied by a loud whistling when accelerating. Cheap and easy to fix.

Thanks for this I will get it checked out and hope that it is something like this that is cheap to put right. I don't have the whistling. The engine runs fine. If its a split turbo hose would the smoke come out the rear of the car? there is no smoke coming out of the engine.

Split turbo hose means one way or another that the quantity of air the ECU expects does not actually reach the engine, so it puts in too much fuel hence lots of smoke.

Turbo hoses can de-laminate inside, looking perfectly fine from the outside but blocking the flow internally.

58 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Split turbo hose means one way or another that the quantity of air the ECU expects does not actually reach the engine, so it puts in too much fuel hence lots of smoke.

Turbo hoses can de-laminate inside, looking perfectly fine from the outside but blocking the flow internally.

Thank you I will get this checked out

22 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Is this an expensive job?

On 9/12/2016 at 1:14 PM, julieb08 said:

I have a problem with my freelander. I have F4 flashing on my dash, which I think is a gearbox problem. Mine is an automatic which will not pull away in 1st gear, so I use manual 1st to pull away then switch to automatic. I have also developed another problem. Lots of smoke coming out of the rear when I start it up and more when I accelerate. The engine runs fine except for this smoke, I cannot see out of the rear window that's how bad it is. Can anyone help me find out what the problem is please. 

http://www.myfreelander.co.uk/Transmission/transprobs3.htm

• Like 1