Clutch fail

Evenin fellas. Yesterday my 1986 300tdi/lt77 90 took another turn. Went into reverse no probs then when I went to go forward the clutch pressure just dissapeared completely and she wouldn't engage gears. Got it into second with engine off, cranked it over and home I drove sliding through the gears relitivley easy. Iv checked today and find the copper clutch pipe from the master is fine, the flexi is ok and the hard pipe is fine. She left a pool of fluid when it happened and when I checked the master cylinder was empty. Could this be something simple like my ****part slave cylinder or am I looking at having to pull the box out again?

Generally experience has shown that if you replace one part (master or slave) the un-replaced part will then quickly fail!

It could be the master having failed with a new slave, there is potentially more pressure which puts extra stress on the seals that quickly expire (and vice-versa).

Just my 2d and experience!

Cheers

Peter 

The black in the fluid is rubber particles from the seals.  The flexible hose also breaks down over time.

Tdis have very weak clutch forks, so it's possible the pivot ball has punched through the fork's pivot point and the slave has overextended, popping the piston out of the bore. That is the worst case scenario.  You'll be able to tell as soon as you remove the slave cylinder.  If the piston is still inside the cylinder, then it's just likely to be the seal and possibly a scored bore.

i will only buy 3 things from britpart..

1) tubes of one shot. they cant get that wrong...

2) brake calipers. they are actually really well made!

3) cv joints. they have been independently tested as almost as strong as ashcrofts and far better than genuine.

I missed the Britpart comment.  Britpart hydraulics are notoriously bad, and I think they're lethal.  They supply a handful of reliably good parts, but the list is short.  I agree with the CV joints, having had some.  I would be too afraid to try their calipers, having seen their other hydraulic components.

I've got a Britpart master cylinder. Not through choice. I needed one in Spain last week and ordered one from a local motor factors. Britpart is what arrived. Given my predicament I wasn't really in a position to turn it down. Nowhere is safe from the scourge. 

To add insult to injury it cost 54 Euros as well, far in excess of its 54p value.

I'm curious to see how long it lasts. 

I'll be carrying spares from now on. 

Mo

Removed the slave and the pistons still inside so iv a replacement on the way. Fingers crossed thats the fault and i dont need to drop the box. Being harvest time i get a few hours now and again to do anything so not having to drop the box would really suit me right now. Fingers crossed.

I think he means the piston is still in the slave rather than the vehicle, but may be wrong.

To satisfy my curiosity, when you have time, please remove the piston and tell us what you find inside - swarf, porous casting or rough machining are all Britpart favourite games on hydraulic cylinders.