Gearbox fault message

lewwe

Morning all,

Quick question, has anyone here come across an instance of a gearbox fault message (putting it into limp mode) that can be overridden by purposefully trying to start the engine while immobilised? It's a 2.5 DSE. 

All I do to get it working properly is to lock myself in with the key, try and start then engine (fail), unlock, start again. Fault cleared. 

I'm completely baffled by it. Can't drive on the road to take it to our garage as it's not going to be insured or taxed until next weekend.

Cheers.

Initially, I haven't a clue, but a bit more information may help others.

Is it a manual or automatic gearbox?
What is the actual fault message, is it just 'Gearbox Fault'?
When you say 'start then engine (fail), unlock ...', what are you unlocking; taking the key out of the ignition, or unlocking the vehicle. If you are unlocking the vehicle, how are you doing this?
You have described how you clear the fault message; what brings the message on again, considering you do not drive the vehicle on the road?

Have you gone through the workshop manual faulting section?
If so, what description matches the fault condition you experience?

Regards.

Hi lewwe 

I had a similar problem with my 00 2.5 DSE automatic but just switching off the engine and back on cleared the fault. After a couple of weeks of this I couldn't get any gear at all,  it turned out it was the XYZ switch. Picked up a replacement one for €60 job done.

Sorry David, you pretty much assumed my situation perfectly! The fault appears as soon as I turn the engine on, not in the ignition stage. Locking and unlocking is done via the remote control... I have no idea why this works and I don't even remember how I managed to figure out that it worked!

I have been through the workshop manual but I can't seem to relate it to anything!! :(

Do you think just doing what Pep said is my best option? If it's worth a punt I may as well just crack on and order the part this week! 

Cheers chaps!