Oil Filter Housing Oil Cooler Pipes

garrycol

The engine is a 4.0 RV8. The oil filter housing has an outlet and inlet to connect the oil cooler. Below is a pic with the spots marked A and B. Can someone tell me which is the outlet which the oil pump pumps the oil to the cooler.

20160928_141339_zpssff6txau.jpg

Likewise, I assume the engine pumps to the oil to the top of the oil cooler where it flows down under pressure and gravity through the cooler and back to the oil filter housing - not from the bottom of the cooler up to the top.

Can someone please confirm.

Thanks

Garry

I'm not familiar with V8s, but I'm pretty sure the port closes to the pump output is "B".  It looks to me like the oil is pumped up the casting's tube from near the crank, past "B" and to the front of the filter housing.  The oil then flows from the outer section of the filter to the inner section and then up the centre pipe that the filter screws onto an up to the pressure sensors and on to the galleries.  The "A" port is the return line from the cooler running into the outside section of the filter for mixing with the warm direct fed oil.  I'm wondering if the thicker section of the casting pipe as it reaches the front of the filter housing is made to take a thermostat to divert hot oil around the oil cooler or allow direct flow when cold, like on the Tdis and 19J.

Thanks for that response. I agree with your logic on which is the inlet and outlet - not sure about your thoughts on a thermostat - maybe but I dont know.

Any thoughts on whether the oil into the cooler at the top and is pumped down or at the bottom and pumped up or does it not matter.

Cheers

garry

I don't know if there is a thermostat in there - it's very small in a Tdi and would fit that thicker section that is directly above the threaded filter coupling in the photo, but there would be some kind of cover plate at the end of that oilway to retain and replace it.

I would route the hot side to the top, like a radiator, so that the pump flow is not fighting convection and creating an artificial restriction in the circuit - get convection working with the system to help draw more oil through the cooler and less through the direct/bypass route.  No need to worry about that convection over cooling the oil; by its nature, convection will only occur once the oil is hot enough anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On September 28, 2016 at 9:02 PM, garrycol said:

The engine is a 4.0 RV8. The oil filter housing has an outlet and inlet to connect the oil cooler. Below is a pic with the spots marked A and B. Can someone tell me which is the outlet which the oil pump pumps the oil to the cooler.

20160928_141339_zpssff6txau.jpg

Likewise, I assume the engine pumps to the oil to the top of the oil cooler where it flows down under pressure and gravity through the cooler and back to the oil filter housing - not from the bottom of the cooler up to the top.

Can someone please confirm.

Thanks

Garry

Per the factory cooler pipes and their design, you will find that "B" is the supply line to the cooler running up the DS of engine to cooler and "A" is the return port via the pipe exiting PS of cooler.