Rovergauge

Shanrad

I have a 1994 3.9 discovery and for 2 months have had a lot of issues with poor running and black smoke so i got a rovergauge to see if i can find the issue but iam not clear on how to use it.the readings iam getting are:

MAF READING: 99%

THROTTLE READING: 100%

IDLE BYPASS: 99%

It says i have fault codes but how do i find them. Cheers

Awesome. Thank you for the help.  Iam hoping this has been the issue the whole time, it has taken such a long time to figure out whats going on.

the rover guage and you guys have been such a massive help, so thanks again.

Is there a reason the throtle sensor would be sitting at 99%? 

The only problem is that if the coolant temp sensor fails for good as to send the ECU to default this should be visible on the coolant gauge too so that fault code could have been hystorical... though the fuel temp sensor has no visible feedback so replace that ASAP

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New sensors have finally arrived today and installed. I still have the same fault codes and its still running like carp. Can anybody tell me how to check them correctly in a step by step? Thanks to all that have been helping me out. I really appreciate it

Have you cleared the codes? Normally need to do this as they are permanently stored.

If they return, them it must be wiring issues, most likely along the injector loom, due to the heat and vibration.

Hotwire efi diagnostics are in the tech archive which does a pin by pin test of all the ecu inputs/outputs, comes in very handy.

Ive cleared the codes and still the same. I also tested the resistance step by step from the hotwire efi and it seems there is no resistance or iam doing it wrong. 

I don't think thats my wire codes sierrafery but ill have a look tomorrow as its dark now

No resistance or no connection?

(sorry, just trying to clarify)

If no connection, there is a break in the wire.

If there is no resistance (0 Ohms) then you have a short in the loom.

Again, I would suggest examining the injector and temp sender harness along the inlet manifold.

Yeah no resistance mate. Ive now tested to see if there is any voltage at the coolant and fuel temp sensor. Checking each wire on both plugs has told me there is 9.10v on one wire and 5.05v on the other...same reading on both plugs. Does this mean there is no break in the wire if its getting voltage?

Yup ^^

Sounds like it is shorted to the throttle position sensor VCC wire, this is run at 5V, whereas almost, if not all, the rest of the system is at 12V.

I forget which colour it is, but a glance at the wiring diagram will tell you - it is in the same loom as the injectors and temp sensors....

Little update. Had an auto electrician friend come up tonight and that there was a track burnt out in the ecu. After fixing it up the rovergauge say it has no fault codes and everything seems to be okay but iam no professional at reading the rovergauge. I have a picture of it but i cant upload to show you because apparently the file size is too large. After all this the bus wont start.

• 2 weeks later...

If you've knocked the vacuum pipe off the regulator that wouldn't help. As you've got the rovergauge I'd be checking everything is basically looking OK and in-spec before fiddling with more bits.

Also, RV8's can get really fussy about fouled plugs, as yours was running rich due to faulty sensors it might've fouled the plugs up which wouldn't help starting.