To keep the rear axle cups -- or not ?

Boydie

On another site I was reading a discussion on whether or not the cups on the rear axle shock absorber base should be retained or if they should be ground off.   One reference I read - OME  installation instructions said to remove them as they limited movement and could cause the threaded bolt on the bottom of the shock to snap off.  

I still have mine fitted to the rear axle and I've never had any pins from any of the Bilsteins I've used previously snap off and I've now fitted foam filled Tuff Dog +300 kg constant rated shocks and springs so I'm kind of curious as to whether I should remove them or retain them  

Any comments and views ????  

As above, will depend on the bushes, and the intended travel of the shocks.

Obviously if the travel is longer, then the angle of the shock will be much greater at droop/full compression, so bushes will have a hard time.

If standard, then I guess the cups will stop the shock mount hole ovalling a bit, as it will get more support from the bush.

hummmm    the bottom (and top) rubbers supplied by Tuff Dog with their foam filled nitro shocks are the exact copy of the original LR units so I guess I'll keep the cups and see how I go, as I said I've never had an issue with the bottom rubber buffers, I did have one set of rear shock top bushes give way to corrugations but that was, in my opinion, due to the fact I'd replaced the standard rubbers with nolathane units and they simply split apart. 

The old style bushes have a small nose that fits inside the larger stud hole to keep them located.  The later bushes are void bushes, their hollow cone shape giving a more progressive input into the damper and also allowing greater flex in damper orientation, but that shape needs the cup for location.  It is a much better design, the only real issue being that water can be trapped between the cup and bracket as they are only spot welded together, ultimately allowing rust.  A spray of penetrating wax solves that issue.

• Like 1