All Terrain tyres

Razar101

I decided to buy a set of BF Goodrich T/A K02 tyres for my disco 2 however Goodrich don't make the size I have,  255/65 R16.

Could I fit an alternative size, maybe 245/75 R16?, i don't want insurance, speedo or 4x4 issues, or should I look for a different brand such as General Grabbers AT ?

your advice would be most appreciated!

A 255/65x16 is 29.07 inches tall (with no weight on it)

A 245/75x16 is 30.5 inches tall (with no weight on it)

Depending on your wheel type and suspension type you may get fouling at full articulation with the latter

I would suggest either a 245/70x16 or swap to a Cooper AT3 (an excellent tyre as good as the BFG any day of the week and a lot cheaper in a better range of tyres) or to a General Grabber (again, much better than the BFG and available in the size you want)

My local tyre guy explained the numbers to me yesterday when I replaced some tyres. the first number is the width the second is the wall size and the R number is the wheel /rim size so technically as long as the rim and wall size is the same you will have no issues with your speedo ...

Close, first number is tread width in mm, second number is wall height in  % of the tread width and the Rxx is the rim/centre hole diameter in inches.

so if xxx/yyRzz is the numbers the diameter is

(16 * 25.4 ) + 2 * ( xxx * yy/100)

in mm, so divide by 25.4 again to get inches.

55 minutes ago, steve_a said:

Close, first number is tread width in mm, second number is wall height in  % of the tread width and the Rxx is the rim/centre hole diameter in inches.

Bloody tyres, they are the ONLY item that uses a combination of metric (the width say, 235= 9") and Imperial 16 = the rim diameter in inches :wacko:

On 05/11/2016 at 11:26 AM, steve_a said:

As I'm sure you guessed, that should be 

(zz * 25.4 ) + 2 * ( xxx * yy/100)

I'm just so used to having 16" wheels that my brain didn't notice it :)

As an aside, 235/85R16 are generally held as a great size, you keep the steering lock and get about the biggest diameter you can, 29.1" up to 31.7" but slightly narrower than what you have.
Check out tyre calculator , one of the first that came up, but has the useful comparison tab on the calculation along with estimated speedo changes