Air tool fittings - long or short?

reb78

There seem to be two types of common air tool fittings - the long and the short PCL fittings. I seem to have ended up with both and want to standardise them. Which is best/what are the pros and cons of each or doesn't it really matter?

In case my description is incorrect, these are the two types of male fittings that I am talking about:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pcl-standard-male-adaptor-plug/5763h

or

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pcl-xf-male-adaptor-plug/2015h

(obviously I would buy the correct female fittings to suit :) )

If you are going to spend money 'standardising' then experience says the larger the internal diameter the better the tool / compressor will perform.
Yes, there will be differences between brands, but I can't say which are absolutely top quality, and which are most cost effective for limited private use.

Of the two you show, the XF (shorter) fitting has the larger internal diameter you want, and is, I believe, the size most normally found on the Aldi / Lidl compressed air offerings.
Silverline is a budget brand, but they do stock both, in their case the larger fittings are called 'Euro'.

A hidden advantage in trying these is that Paddocks will supply Silverline fittings, normally at a price below that shown in the Silverline catalogue. The assumption here is that if necessary you will normally have other products you can buy from Paddocks, to qualify for free delivery.
I suppose I should qualify my comments by saying that the above actions are 'my plan', I haven't actually spent the money yet :-)

Regards.

When people talk about ‘PCL’ fittings, they’re usually referring to the long type in your first link.  The fact PCL make other types than their own design is just plain confuddling – I’ve seen people call the latter type ‘Euro’ fittings.

I’ve standardised on PCLs and keep a few spare.

Two top tips given to me by an old hand were:

1) For the female fittings, buy genuine PCL.  Much better than the copies, about a fiver each

2) Make the females last longer by adding a short ‘whip hose’ to any tool which vibrates; Impact guns and air hammers to name the 2 most common.

I’ve certainly found no 2 to be true, less so number one.

Matt

As David mentions, the short one is the high flow connector, standard use in Europe and the Far East. Most new tools you buy now, that ship with connectors, will ship with this type.

The long PCL is only really popular in the U.K. 

Cheers, Steve 

I am steadily moving over to the PCL XF/Euro (high flow) type. PCL actually market the XF type as a higher flow rated fitting.

I've used the older long style PCL fitting for years, and they've all been leaking for some time now. For air tools that have high demand you want the best flow possible, hence my decision to change mine.

As mentioned above these are becoming increasingly popular, and IMO they've come down in price a lot.

If you're concerned about compatibility with your friends' systems, just carry a homemade adapter (1 male old type screwed into 1 female short type).

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

As David mentions, the short one is the high flow connector, standard use in Europe and the Far East. Most new tools you buy now, that ship with connectors, will ship with this type.

The long PCL is only really popular in the U.K. 

Cheers, Steve 

Have to disagree with that, the long type are standard in industry in France and Switzerland (including the very large lab i work at), the short type tend to be DIY use.

I've got Dessoutter Safety Europe couplings in my workshop , been there 30 years and still don't leak , my experience of PCL/Schrader quick release couplings in a workshop environment is they all leak . You could use hydraulic QR couplings too - it's what I have in a 3/4" bore on the 1" rattle gun .

cheers

Steveb

I run both regularly and have adaptors to go either way, my longer extensions have pcl but all my shorter coil leads are euro type I also fitted twin outlets on my smaller compressor and on my pipework run through the garage. I use whatever I pick up cheapest at places like Newbury or boot sales.

• 1 month later...