P38 - BMW M57 Engine swap

Exmoor Beast

So now my 110 is virtually done the P38 can come off the road. Its on 190,000miles now and I'm beginning to think that its immaculate service history may be a work of fiction as it has already done its head gasket once and I think its doing it again as the water is a bit oily again.

The obvious thing to do would be to scrap it and run but I'm rather fond of the old bus and its lovely HSE leather armchairs; its flown throw the last 2 MOTs with no sign of next year being any different so what the hell I reckon it deserves another chance.

I have heard tales of M57 engines being fitted into P38s but I'm beggared if I can find much online about it online other than this link to a potential wiring loom to enable it to work http://www.rallyraid.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=EL_1059

I may have a couple of sources of cheap M57 engine on the horizon, anyway they seem cheap enough on ebay if you buy them still wrapped in the car they came in and flog off the bits you don't need. Couple that with the money re-couped from stripping my M51 engine of its good bits and it all seems rather easiy...ish on the wallet.

So Range Rover fans, has anyone here done this conversion or know anyone who has? Can you point me towards a blog or article on doing it? Can you send the men in white coats around to cart me off? 

Will :-)

2016-05-06 16.23.03-2.jpg

There is a dedicated Facebook page "M57 Land Rover Group" for transplanting the M57 into various Land Rovers. They seek P38 manual gearboxes for the bell housing so if yours is a manual, you are half way there. I think you also need a custom loom, but they are available too.

3 hours ago, Fatboy said:

There is a dedicated Facebook page "M57 Land Rover Group" for transplanting the M57 into various Land Rovers. They seek P38 manual gearboxes for the bell housing so if yours is a manual, you are half way there. I think you also need a custom loom, but they are available too.

Thanks, I hadn't come across that I'll have a look. Yep mine is a Manual so halfway there would be good.

Will :-)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys just wanted to sat I'm currently doing this conversion. There is a Facebook page called m57 landrovers with lots of info.

Hope this helps. 

Sorry if I upset anyone by mentioning face book.

Appoligies all my pics are too big to post. An questions just ask.