Paint questions?..................

SWB

Over the winter period I'm going to smarten up my truck.

While having a pint with a friend last weekend I mentioned what I was going to be doing, sections of chassis repainting, seat box lids also and also other bits and pieces repainting.

He told me he would get some odds and ends from work for me and drop them off at my home.

I returned home tonight to find a very large box with allsorts in it. :-).

So, my question is, what do I use the following for in particular?;

Red oxide primer?.

Etch primer?.

Grey primer?. (I think I know that one).

I'm not well up on what to use when rubbing down to bare metal, priming and everything else etc. so the best place for me to ask is on this forum.

Sounds like a useful friend to have!

Etch goes on anything that needs to be etched to help the paint adhere, so aluminium, zinc etc.It can also be used to good effect on steel too. Don't get it in your eye because it flipping burns! 

Red oxide is the old classic, although it doesn't have the heavy metal content that it used to. I'd slap this on anything steel really.

The grey primer - if its high build then that would go on after your initial etch or red oxide. This has fillers in it that help level off stuff and build a layer that can be flatted back smooth easily. If its not high build, then no idea.

Be aware that most primers are porous and so will not protect any metalwork from moisture without a topcoat.

Try not to paint in the cold! 

Stay away from Hammerite as a topcoat, it chips easily.

Have fun!