Modular vehicles

Question to those knowledgeable on UK regs, MOT testers etc...

I've been toying with the idea of making my camper conversion modular. i.e. Camper body on the chassis that can be jacked/lifted off and an alternate flat bed that could be fitted.

Is this possible with DVLA \ MOT \ C&U?

Is there a vehicle category to cover this, i.e. If its a camper it would be a M1 special purpose, but if a pickup it would be an N1, is there a modular code?

I guess both would fall under class IV MOT.
Looking on DVLA now i dont see a 'motor caravan' class, i seem to recall some minimum requirements to register as that, bed, stove etc, did that change?

And anyway if is tested in the same category and VED is based on CO2, who care what its labelled as. Since on mine the side windows will be hidden when the pop top is down, someone suggested it may not qualify as a motor-caravan...

You can get it reclassified as a motor home if you meet the requirements. It doesn't effect the class (N1/M1) but for vans that would otherwise have to drive at the lower speed limits it allows them to drive at car speed limits. I'm in the process of converting my VW van into a camper van and as soon as I meet the requirements I'll be applying to have it registered as a motor home so I can legally drive it faster. It also means you can get cheaper insurance as motor homes are generally cheaper to insure than a panel van.

The requirements are all laid out on the DVLA web site, 2 hob cooker, sink, bed, seating area with fixed table are the main ones.

Converting a vehicle into a motorhome - Gov.uk

That said for a Land Rover, where you're already exempt from the N1 speed limits due to it's 4x4 classification, there's little to be gained by having it registered as a motor home. Having a demountable camper doesn't change the vehicle any more than putting a pallet in the back would, it's basically just "cargo".

Technicality but I believe the Land Rover is only M1 when it is below 2040kg if it only has two seats. 4 seats and no problem. When below 2040kg (guess the funny number is a way of saying weight rounds to 2000kg to two significant digits) it is classed as a dual purpose vehicle. If you were above that weight then I think you'd have to look very closely at ratios relating to the load area. Think it was either load bed to wheelbase or total vehicle length. If your load bed exceeded that ratio, and you were above 2040kg you may well struggle to get it through as an M1.

Another point to consider is the description on the log book. If road side check people saw camper on their system and it appears like a flat bed commercial it could be very tricky.

Edited by WesBrooks
Remove "Probably go something to do with the popularity of modern crew cab pick ups! " for clarity.

Worth noting that HoSS's camper isn't a Land Rover.

I suspect it'll fall down the regulatory cracks, as a camper isn't supposed to have a space for cargo (much like a recovery or other emergency vehicle), being able to swap bodies kinda ruins that - if the camper body isn't permanently fixed then it's not part of the vehicle for licensing porpoises.

How they class pickups that have those bed-mounted camper pods I don't know, I suspect they remain as PLG or commercial, I'd guess that's the closest thing to what you're doing.

Found it! From the M1 IVA test manual.

"At the request of the applicant a vehicle with at least 4 seats and a load area not exceeding 40% of the length of the vehicle and a weight limit of 6500kg max mass may be classed as an M1 vehicle for the purpose of this manual"

43 minutes ago, WesBrooks said:

Another point to consider is the description on the log book. If road side check people saw camper on their system and it appears like a flat bed commercial it could be very tricky.

Thats the essence of my question, is there a modular classification...

And yes not a LR, i'm already up at 3500kg GVW.

I dont have a big issue with the speed exemption of the motor caravan, anything over 80kmh is deafening anyway.

The speed limit thing only applies for motor homes below 3050kg. Vehicle classification looks like it would be a N2 as it will fall between 3.5 and 12 tonnes. Can't offer any more on description then Fridge other than making it obvious that the caravan bit is a secured load, in essence it is then no different to a flat bed with a caravan on it, just bolted down mighty well.

As your vehicle is likely to be goods vehicle over 3.5 tonnes laden weight you may need to fit a speed limiter.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

I assumed, wrongly, it was Land Rover based :)

I would still go down the route that it should be registered as a cargo carrying vehicle and the camper "pod" is simply cargo so it doesn't matter if it's present or not as it has no effect on the vehicle classification then. I can't see any reason to differentiate between having a camping pod on the back versus any other load you might be carrying.

There is not the problems you get with over 3500kg mam , as with those you are required to register the vehicle in the highest taxation class  (for obvious reasons of evasion) .

The mot class would be trickiest , although as far as I know  there is no problem with having two classes of mot in force on the vehicle at the same time  , it is done with class 5 and class 6 (psv)  vehicles . If it was just a demountable camper then simple as it would be class 7  as it just carries a load on the bed  (camperpod) .  If your camper body also carried a scooter then you would still be class 7 as it would be a living van rather than a motorhome which is class 4 test.  You need to speak with DVSA  0300 123 9000  and ask for small scheme mot test query . HTSH

ps  the C& U regs thing is irrelevant as all vehicles just have to comply with the rules as to their configuration on the road at the time . eg when its camper  mudguards same requirements as when its flatbed.  demount hgv have lighting on pod part and on chassis and marker boards on chassis so comply when not carrying .

Edited by tacr2man

I would go PLG, only slightly taxing point would be class 7 mot although being 4x4 some may class it as dual purpose. PLG is higher speed limits anyway so no loss there and still in cheap tax band. 

'That way you can do whatever you wish with it.

will.

Dual purpose vehicle route can't be applied here due to the weight.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles

To heavy unless it can loose weigh and replate. I'm not sure if you can do that without an IVA. If you know of other legislation on this please share as it could have a bearing on what I'm doing.

Was your 303 full bodied original or did it have a flat bed if the later surely you can register it as a flat bed then the camper pod is just a load especially if you use two flat beds one as is the other  with a camper body attached. Failing that can you register it as a chassis cab.

Mike