1800phil

Hi, I brought a Disco 1 some time ago as spares or repair with blown head gasket and extensive welding needed to get back on the road. I fitted a new head gasket like for like just so I could move it around the drive if needed, I have then spent many months welding, fitting new brakes etc the list goes on. The other day after fitting new water pump and P gasket the head went again!!! I've removed the head and its blowing in the same place between 2&3 so I thought about getting the head skimmed. After closer inspection I've noticed a crack (hair line) between the glow plug and injector which also extends to the valve seat on No 3 cylinder.
My question is, will this be a problem or can I ignore it. Is the head worth skimming or should I look at buying new/second hand. Also the gasket I replaced at the start was the thickest with no holes stamped into it, does this mean the heads been skimmed before????
Not sure which direction to go next so any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you can see a crack then it's probably goosed but if the head gasket went then it could be that the head isn't flat and just needs skimming. However if you did get your head skimmed and pressure tested and it failed, that will cost money that you could've put towards a good condition second hand head or even a new head.

• Like 1

Get a new head. There is a so called "evolution" head which has larger improved water journals. The one I purchased many years ago even came with the valves fitted, it was a genuine LR part however and cheaper (as in at least 1/2 the price I paid) ones can be obtained. 

I've said it many times but just why there are three triangular waterways in the block between 1-2; 2-3; and 3-4 is beyond me especially as there are no corresponding waterways in the cylinder head and yet the gasket has the same bloody cutouts !  All you get is air bubbles trapped at these three locations and this causes corrosion in the face of the head. 

If you ever take your engine out get them welded up (by a gun welder using TIG) and then have the block skimmed, I did this to mine and I've never had another blown head gasket, my current head gasket has done well over 145,000 kilometres. As for the three cutouts in the gasket, I made up a wad punch to the triangular shape and cut three pieces out of the old gasket and fitted them into the spaces on the new gasket with a smear of red silicone gasket sealant. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...