16x8j modulars

Shutler1

Was trying to help you out. As you could have found the answer in maybe 90 seconds of Googling, rather than having to wait hours for a reply on a forum.

For the record, which is also mostly why I answered they way I did. You basically asked would a standard fitment tyre for a Defender fit a standard fitment sized rim...

35 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Was trying to help you out. As you could have found the answer in maybe 90 seconds of Googling, rather than having to wait hours for a reply on a forum.

For the record, which is also mostly why I answered they way I did. You basically asked would a standard fitment tyre for a Defender fit a standard fitment sized rim...

You could have just said 'yes they will be fine'

• Like 1

But how would that have helped you next time round? I have no issues with people asking questions. But sometimes it's probably worth a tiny bit of effort up front first. Especially when it's either a super easy question or a question with an exact answer rather than an opinion. 

I'm not trying to mean or difficult. But in some ways it's like asking people to tell you what your favourite colour is or is a Land Rover 4wd. 

Didn't realise 8J was ever a standard fitment on Defenders, at least on standard specs rather than specials.

Be careful with the offsets. I'd eyed up ET0 for the equivalent of 33" tyres. I think ET-32 is standard. Modulars come in a huge range. I think more posative (often referred to as deep dish) gives a wider track/vehicle.

For the MOT you need to ensure you can't see any of the tread from directly above.

I'll check my notes later.

Edited by WesBrooks
Offsets back to front.

On 12/16/2016 at 2:26 PM, Peaklander said:

Pouring oil onto choppy waters and all that - If you are interested, you can get instant results that are focused on this forum.

Try goooooogling this: modulars forums.lr4x4

There's an even more specific way to do this - in the Google search box enter:

site:forums.lr4x4.com modulars

The site:??? bit tells Google to only return results from that site.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

MOT doesn't check for tyre protrusion! 

Every day is a school day! So is this one of the Construction and Use things that will only really clobber you if you get pulled for a road side check or investigated after an accident?

Not suggesting that the wheel protrusion is, or is not likely to be a contributing factor in an accident, merely trying to clarify when it is likely to cause the vehicle driver an issue.

Yep, can get pulled by the police for it, as you surmise, a C&U issue.

It is there because of lack of containment of debris or spray causing poor visibility for following drivers, and potential damage from stones etc.

So yes, it is likely to cause a driver an issue, if a traffic cop takes issue with it, it is enough to get pulled for sure, and then the rest of your vehicle is up for closer scrutiny, which even for the most scrupulous of LR owner will still bring on an attack of nerves.

Thanks Bowie. I appreciate the potential risks. My comment; 'Not suggesting...' was just trying to make sure no one misinterpreted my post as trying to kick of a carp storm. I thought there was an issue with the poking out, but wasn't 100% sure on when it would be picked up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WesBrooks said:

Didn't realise 8J was ever a standard fitment on Defenders, at least on standard specs rather than specials.

Be careful with the offsets. I'd eyed up ET0 for the equivalent of 33" tyres. I think ET-32 is standard. Modulars come in a huge range. I think more posative (often referred to as deep dish) gives a wider track/vehicle.

For the MOT you need to ensure you can't see any of the tread from directly above.

I'll check my notes later.

The more negative the offset, the further out the wheel will sit. ET-32 means the mounting face is 32mm closer to the centre of the car than the centreline of the wheel.

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

The more negative the offset, the further out the wheel will sit. ET-32 means the mounting face is 32mm closer to the centre of the car than the centreline of the wheel.

Bugger, double corrected myself then should have left it as it was. I think standard is ET32 rather than -32 then. I'll get my coat and leave this thread alone. Causing more hassle than help! :-D