Shock Horror

GBMUD

2004 110 SW

My MOT is due tomorrow and last year I got an advise that the rear shock top bushes were worn. I immediately bought new bushes but they looked a nightmare to fit and somehow it never happened. With the MOT in mind, last week I bought some new aftermarket shocks made by Boge, a good name in aftermarket shocks and OE on many cars.

Today (see, I do leave it till last minute!) I have gone to fit the shocks, only to find that the bush configuration on the bottom (axle end) of the shocks is different to what I am taking off.

Here is what I have removed, note the bush arrangement:-

post-209-1237547244_thumb.jpg

And the axle is like this, note the welded on 'cups' on the mounting bracket:-

post-209-1237547274_thumb.jpg

Here is the bush arrangement on the new shocks:-

post-209-1237547302_thumb.jpg

Now this is obviously not compatible with the existing setup. Should I go ahead and fit the shocks without the two big silver rings in the middle? The rubber parts of the bush are a different shape on the new shocks but everything fits OK length-wise - though the shock shaft is a loose fit in the hole on the axle mounting bracket.

post-209-1237547317_thumb.jpg

I have known people to have trouble in the past where they have fitted aftermarket shocks to axles with the 'cups' attached and found that the shock has broken. I cannot afford for that to happen really. Any advice from those in the know would be much appreciated. I am not inclined to remove the cups from the axle.

Sorry for the poor photography, I was in a hurry.

Thanks

Chris

I ran the +2" DeCarbons with the cups for over 18months with no problems using the same bush config your suggested one in 4th pic. I would say that the cups are fine for standard and plus 2 shocks.

When I fitted the Gwyn Lewis mounts with longer shocks I knew there would be a lot more movement so I removed the cups. I did this by drilling out the spot welds and the chiseling them off.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks chaps. Following advice from the supplier I have fitted them as suggested, without the centre washers. We will see how it goes...

Thanks

Chris

Chris it will be fine, no need for the 2 centre washers, you worry too much.................

My Rancho's eat the stupid rubber doughnut bushes, ATS Horsham supplied the shocks and I bought a load of spare rubbers ages ago, get little bro' to see if they have any left?

Out of curiosity, did you put any kind of lubricant on the rubber in the cups :moglite: I did a similar thing on the LSE and the rubber was worn away quite quicky - it looked like it was more to do with friction than anything else... In the normal situation, the washers can rotate and all the rubber has to do is flex but in this scenario, the cups are fixed...

The new type bushes (same as a 300Tdi Discovery rear lower shock bush) are for the axles with cups on which were introduced on Td5 vehicles, but they are rubbish, the bushes don't last any time and the cups get bent up by flying stones on our roads here.

What many people do here is chisel off the cups (they are only spot welded onto the axle, hammer and cold chisel will get them off in about 10 min each side and the hole that is left is the same size as on an old axle) and fit the old bush/washer arrangement with the old style 552818 bushes and the inner washers, i.e. like any 1990s age Defender has on the back axle. The bushes last much longer.

Downside is as said the pins are a different length so you can't fit old type bushes onto a new type shocker but the old arrangement is much better.

I fitted Polybush (new type) lower bushes on mine, so far so good but if they don't last it will be out with the chisel!

Edited after looking at the photos - Chris the bushes on those new shockers are the old type ones so won't work properly if they are in the axle cups, your best bet is probably to chisel the cups off as described and revert to the old style setup using the bushes and washers supplied with the shockers.

Potholed gravel roads everywhere means that bush wear is a matter I have some experience in :)

i fitted+2" decarbon to our disco last year i left the cups attatched to the axle shock bracket and didn't fit the spacers result was two broken shocks after a couple of months :o anyway i took out the cold chiselk and removed them and then fitted replacement +2" decarbons and they have been on the truck for a year now with no problem , jmo