All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. FridgeFreezer

Is my water pump working? 3.9 v8 serp

1. Is it really overheating or is the gauge/sender/wiring playing up? 2. Check the simple & cheap stuff: stuck thermostat, low coolant, slipping belt IR thermometers or temperature labels are your friends;
  3. teabag

MOT EXEMPTION RULE QUERY

You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1979. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay, Its automatic. With the MOT exemption the vehicle has to be classified as Historic for that you have to apply to the DVLA, and certify the vehicle doesn’t meet the “modified” criteria and of course the vehicle was first registered 40+ years ago. Simples, I did both last year at the same time at my local Post Office for my classic car that was on a Sorn at the time so with out an MOTcert.
  4. The impeller has been known to break up, but very rare I believe and then only on aftermarket market items. A faulty viscous coupling for the fan will cause overheating. Coolant flowing the heater is a good indication that the pump is ok, also maybe u can look/feel inside after removing the bottom hose connection on the pump.
  5. Today
  6. I've been having a few overheating problems with my 3.9 v8 and I'm suspicious of waterpump impeller may become de attached or slip when warm how can I tell other than removing?
  7. Romahomepete

MOT EXEMPTION RULE QUERY

Anyone wanting to know about DVLAs attitude to Q plates should look at the thread on the military section dealing with historic tax and MOT (I can't remember the threads exact title). On the last post I attached an extract from a letter sent to all car clubs that are part of the V765 scheme. Peter
  8. Romahomepete

MOT EXEMPTION RULE QUERY

When getting information from DVLA in a phone call always ask for written confirmation. The phone operators have been known to get it wrong. Peter
  9. Dave W

Ms1 to ms3 upgrade

It's a coil driver, allows you to fire an ignition coil from a 5v logic signal. It's been developed by Bosch and has all sorts of safeguards to try and prevent it getting damaged due to misuse/bad configuration with over temperature protection, current limiting and so on. You take the input 5v high for the dwell period and the coil fires when you drop the input to 0v. https://secu-3.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/pdf/bip373_datasheet.pdf If I had to hazard a guess I'd suspect that most of the current combined coil and driver offerings use this device, it's a lot more robust than the older VB921 we used to use as a coil driver. You connect the base (B) pin through a resistor to the MS ECU spark output, emitter (E) to vehicle earth and the collector (C) to the coil -ve. The other side of the coil is connected to ignition 12v. One thing you do have to watch though is that the collector is connected to the metal tab/heatsink so when you bolt it to a metal surface you need to make sure it's insulated, normally using a mica insulation kit. There are a number of places selling them in the UK and US or you can get a pack of 5 from aliexpress for under £10 if you're prepared to wait: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BIP373-TO220-Series-250-V-16A-Bipolar-Triple-Stage-Automotive-Ignition-Driver-30115/1132722921.html
  10. Yesterday
  11. Mo Murphy

Truck cab headlining

I have a LaSalle headlining in my hard top, very robust and tidy, I'd certainly get amother. Mo
  12. Chazza

Ms1 to ms3 upgrade

What is a BIP373? Cheers Charlie
  13. Dave W

Ms1 to ms3 upgrade

MS3 is the same as MS1 in that it has a series of spark outputs that all OUTPUT 5v. EDIS is an automated coil driver controller, it has 4 built in coil drivers and a circuit that reads the crank signal to power the coil drivers at the correct time. You can use coils with built in drivers such as the VW ones or LSx ones or you can use external drivers with your existing coils to convert the 5v signal from the MS ECU into a spark, typically you use a BIP373 for each coil and use your existing coils. Your choice really, depends on your budget and requirements - you can get 4 x BIP373 for less than £20, mount them in there own box near the coils and it's no different to EDIS or new coils. I use an Aluminium box to house mine, the box acts as a heatsink and also screens any electrical interference. The wiring details are available in the MS documentation. The VW option is very good, just not the cheapest and means new ht leads etc... I use this setup with standard RV8 coil packs so I can use "off the shelf" HT leads.
  14. landroversforever

kiwi series build

What’s the reason for he plastic fairleads over say some stainless pipe and fittings?
  15. Think my old 1989 roof had a welded nut on inside
  16. mad_pete

Ms1 to ms3 upgrade

MS3 to drive without edis needs a different input voltage. Looks like the megasquirt v8 shop lists them as VWs Audi Skodas etc P/Ns : 032905106E 032905106B etc and some brackets and leads maybe I’m going shopping when it re opens Monday. 🙂
  17. Dan D90

TD5 remap

I’m pretty sure my Frankenstein defender td5 is running a discovery fuel map, temp gauge works backwards and its very jerky at low speed. It’s a 10p engine with a non-flash ECU. 90% of my driving is around 10-30mph so I’m getting tired of the poor performance and have decided to take a punt on a replacement ECU. I know that my current ECU can be chipped but i would prefer to keep it as a backup just encase things do not go to plan! I’m looking to buy a NNN000120. Most of the ones for sale are from the discovery 15p engine so I will need to get it remapped. Does anyone on here offer a remapping service or can recommend anyone in the Warwickshire region? Thanks Dan
  18. Roverdrive

Simplest 300Tdi coolant alarm

That’s what I have used and it works fine. note that not all the Range Rover style floats are the same. Some have a resistance even when “closed” others don’t. Mine is one of the latter.
  19. Dave W

Ms1 to ms3 upgrade

Why ?
  20. Dan D90

TD5 fuel problem

Did you make sure the non return value is in the correct place when you changed your fule filter head? There is conflicting infomation on the net IMO as to where the air blead value and non return valve should go, some say the non return is not needed at all. I had a very similar issue to you, air blead value was blocked and someone had put the non return value in the wrong pipe, this mean that air in the system could not get out thus the pump working overtime and a lot of cranking to get it started. Once the non return value was move to the correct pipe she started fine. Like you i change the pump, injector seals, loom etc etc I hope you have the same problem as its an 5 mins fix!
  21. mad_pete

Ms1 to ms3 upgrade

Seems I would need to swap to VW coils and leads to get s 5v input. Anyone know what the part numbers are for the VW coils and leads please?
  22. mad_pete

Truck cab headlining

Got through but the factory has been a pickle for them I think I will try LaSalle
  23. Stellaghost

MOT EXEMPTION RULE QUERY

To be honest I,m not bothered about MOT exempt as a yearly MOT stops you putting jobs off I'm more interested in getting it tax exempt the DVLA guy asked about age related plate but I told him it was'nt an issue Will keep you informed on progress as sending docs away this week DVLA recons about 4 weeks to process Regards Stephen
  24. Thanks Western. So the early ones use M6 x25mm (these are the only ones I have come across) And the later ones use No14 x 25mm self tapping screws, and a spire nut. Anyone know what the M6 bolts screw into on the early ones? I guess the changeover was around the same time as the 200TDI?
  25. trickydicky

low coolant warning light

the same theory as this
  26. supaimpy

MOT EXEMPTION RULE QUERY

with a Q reg you wont get MOT exemption because they class it as substantially modified, unless you can get it classed as historic for RFL, the other issue is although its 40 yrs old if the Q plate was issued in the last 30 years its unlikely it will be MOT exempt , as the date of registration will be the date the 'modification ' so cast from service and given a Q in 1996 will mean although you can prove manufacture date , if it retains its Q you need to wait til 2026.
  27. trickydicky

low coolant warning light

cheers guys I was thinking of using a 5 pin relay . what do you think?
  28. From parts book, note the extra info for item 11
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy