a little added security

Block Lock from Era, modified to bolt directly to the door frame. Not a big deal for the determined thief but, hopefully, a pause for thought for the opportunist. I've fitted three, all keyed alike, cost £ 22 each from www.buylocks.co.uk.

Two drawbacks:

it does make the door fit slightly tighter, so a heavy slam is required to close ( until the door seal compresses )

It collects mud when off road, I use a thick rubber band to keep the muck out !

4 images

post-5960-1230383495_thumb.jpg

post-5960-1230383536_thumb.jpg

post-5960-1230383557_thumb.jpg

post-5960-1230383586_thumb.jpg

Is it possible to fit them to a station wagon ?

mike

You need a little packing to get the bracket to fit the inside of the defender.

The Block Lock is designed as a removable fixture for a van door, but adapts ok to bolt into the vehicle frame on a defender. You may be able to fabricate a neater L section, mine is just as supplied plus a wedge of packing.

post-5960-1230388673_thumb.jpg

You need a little packing to get the bracket to fit the inside of the defender.

The Block Lock is designed as a removable fixture for a van door, but adapts ok to bolt into the vehicle frame on a defender. You may be able to fabricate a neater L section, mine is just as supplied plus a wedge of packing.

Neat job :)

But now you can actually lock yourself out...

Or am I being dense?

Aye Bob, you can lock yourself out, you and everyone else. Not necessarily a bad thing in the parts of London, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Bristol, Glasgow that my 90 gets to visit. Sometimes appreciation for Solihull's best product can be extended to long periods of unauthorised borrowing. Good locks ( or just locks ) help moderate temptation. You can always keep the lock key with your ignition key, presuming your land rover needs one, I used to have a Jeep Wrangler that didn't :blink: no roof or doors either, I think it was the 8 mpg on a 4.2ltr 6 that kept it from being stolen ............

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just thought I'd put up some pictures of my version of security I added to my motor after some tea-leaf decided to nick my Laptop, Hand-held GPS and Leather Jacket from the passenger's side door, they had jimmied something into the lock (probably a screwdriver).

I got them from a local hardware store, in Spain, they cost about €12 each. Had to do a bit of drilling and fabricating to get them in place. Oh and I have 3 keys, not the one does all.

Could have done with those other ones, never mind, at least I've got something extra/better.

Hi,

Just thought I'd put up some pictures of my version of security I added to my motor after some tea-leaf decided to nick my Laptop, Hand-held GPS and Leather Jacket from the passenger's side door, they had jimmied something into the lock (probably a screwdriver).

I got them from a local hardware store, in Spain, they cost about €12 each. Had to do a bit of drilling and fabricating to get them in place. Oh and I have 3 keys, not the one does all.

Could have done with those other ones, never mind, at least I've got something extra/better.

I like your idea!But I dont realy anderstand how it build...

How the mecanismus looks from inside?

great job I think I need something like theat

Hi all

Thought you might be interested in the dead locks I fitted. It gives me a lot of peace of mind as there's no way any tyke will get my doors open. Huh - famous last words????

They are actually garage door locks which come in a pair (so matching keys). Cost about £40 as I remember. I got them from a local locksmiths but have seen them on tinternet. Mine are Pacri, but have seen some (afterwards!) called ASEC and Enfield which are similar and cheaper. I had a choice of key lengths (for thick doors) - mine are the shorter ones which are fine. They are good as the bolt has a long 'throw' so goes right into the frame.

It took a bit of jiggery pokery to get them to fit. They sit just below the lowest position of the doorglass. They have to be fitted at a slight angle in the door (used washers) so the bolt enters the frame behind the ridge you fit the rubber to. Hope the pics show this. Would have preferred them higher up but they dont fit behind the glass.

I have an old 127 Defender ambulance so I dont know about the 90/110 rear door, but I guess they might be able to be fitted there too?

Clive

post-14327-1232564624_thumb.jpg

post-14327-1232564649_thumb.jpg

post-14327-1232564778_thumb.jpg

I like your idea!But I dont realy anderstand how it build...

How the mecanismus looks from inside?

great job I think I need something like theat

I've put some pictures into my album, hope they give you some ideas as to how I installed mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've managed to obtain the latest price of the locks I fitted; erm €30.00 each :o Not cheap, suppose a good deterrent isn't.

Got me 'old man' to check on availability and he's been told I could get €2.00 off per lock if I ordered 30 or more.

Just for info. the one on the back door has a shorter lock barrel and smaller than the rest. Also just in case you can't see it clearly, you can lock the doors when one is inside (when one decides to have a kip :P locking oneself in and everyone else out :lol: )