jacks?!?!?

Welcome to the forum

Why should a 2" lift make any difference. the axles should still be the same height from the ground.

I carry a Land Rover Discovery jack as well as a cheap hydraulic jack.

I used to carry a couple of blocks of wood to make my trolly jack fit to the axle

2 stage bottle jack, disco ones are good or Clarke draper etc do them. You want a block of wood and I always keep a strong bar an d deep 27mm socket in there aswell, don't trust the standard wheel brace.

Will

I wouldn't use a farm jack for anything but farm use... Seen too many of them fall over, simply from a gust of wind; and because you are lifting the body, not the axles, they have to lift to almost the height of the suspension articulation.

Get a good bottle jack and a 2" deep by 8-10" square block of hard wood and you'll never be stuck!

and more importantly AXLE STANDS!!! A friend was recently seriously injured when his jack gave in and came down on his thigh...

Farm jacks look cool on the back of a defender but they're too dangerous in my opinion for anything but a last resort.... and twice the price of a decent bottle jack :D

Hope that helps...

Mat

You are best off with a disco2 jack (as mentioned above) for emergency wheel changes and a good trolley jack for maintenance work. I have a 3 tonne version from halfords (not too expensive with a trade card!)

If you are local to me at all, I have a standard defender screw jack in the garage that you are welcome too for some beer tokens. I can't use it anymore as various mods and additions mean I don't have the jacking points anymore!

Keep away from farm jacks or Hi-lits jacks for normal garage work. I used to use two trolly jacks when servicing with axle stands, now I use the Discovery jack.

As you have a Defender. Land Rover supply and fit two spreader plates for jacking. All you need to do is screw or rivit some half inch [12.7mm] ply to the underside of the plates.

I'm not sure I agree with not using a farm Jack for garage work, I do, I have the wheel straps so that the Farm Jack is lifting the wheel, once at the right height for the work I'm about to do in go the chassis stands and the jack gets removed, or are you thinking of working under the Disco without chassis stands with only the screw or hydraulic jack between you and a crushing experience :blush:

• 4 months later...

Stumbled across this conversation while looking for recommendations on trolley jacks. Can only add if you are overlanding then a hi lift is a necessity as a bottle jack won't do when bogged down, though agree they are dangerous and should not be used unless you have experience, main thing is to make sure you lock the handle once you reach the right height and you keep them well greased, also much easier to use if you get the adapter to slot into the holes on heavy duty bumpers.

In my opinion the jack that comes with a Defender is rubbish, get a good Discovery bottle jack, they are made for the job, and carry a block of wood 10 or 12" square by 2" thick to stand it on for jacking which gives it more stability/grip on a hard or softer surface, just make sure that your pumping lever handle is long enough, carry the complete handle, it's usually in 2 sections and make sure you tighten the release screw up enough to hold the vehicle up whilst changing the wheel, I don't understand those that use body/chassis lift jacks, the body/chassis will rise a foot before the wheel even starts to lift off the ground. Discovery jacks are expensive to buy and are very hard to find but they do turn up at auto jumbles for very little money, I found a brand new one complete with the handle and wheel brace for £3 last year at a car boot sale, I don't think the seller knew what vehicle it was for even though Land Rover was plastered on it.

I saw this on the Defender2 forum - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic21755.html

9265075586_5f5d5892f1_c.jpg

9265078026_a48e689c82_c.jpg

A brand new Mercedes Sprinter 2.6 Ton High Lift Hydraulic Jack, complete with Toolkit, £30 delivered (to mainland UK) -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261145375799

$(KGrHqN,!o0E9cz)Z3E7BPrS1ZeMQ!~~60_12.J

$(KGrHqZ,!roE-Yzv6i0yBPrS1nwd(g~~60_12.J

$(KGrHqR,!nQE9gF4Zen9BPrS14ofh!~~60_12.J

It looks like a useful bit of kit (unlike the cr@ppy leaky jack that comes with the DII :angry: )

I bought one yesterday, should be here tomorrow :D

Good question and welcome to the forum.

Think you have done me a favour because I have never needed to use the supplied jack for roadside and didn't realise how badly they are regarded.

Thanks everyone. I will be buying something more fit for purpose pdq.

Cheers

Barry