Shot Blasters / Grit Blasters

Astro_Al

Anyone got one? Recommended? What's it running off?

Any thoughts on media for rusty/painted steel?

The only one I can find so far is the Sealey one for about 350. There used to be a company who advertised in the back of some of the mags, but I can't remember the name.

Or are 'domestic' ones all carp?

Al.

make one?- I'll dig out that lance for you Al, the rest of it is a booth, hopper and pickup, compressor, air dryer and see Andy for the elbow length industrial rubber gloves :ph34r: have a look in the frosts catalogue and buy/copy theirs - you need big lungs on the compressor though <_<

if you want to get posh you need an augur feeding the shot up to a hopper so it can be sieved to remove small children that may otherwise clog up the lance.

I might have some shot kicking about to get you started :unsure:

Halfrauds sold a blasting hose - think it might have been sealey?!? just drop the suction pipe into the media and pull the trigger on the loud button. big bore hosing from the 'pressor to the lance or its gonna take all day, would have thought Hyphose could sort that? (try asking for Colin)

ballvalves from the plumbing section make nice hi-flow shut off fittings ;)

Hi Guys,

Looking into making something to blast my axles and then everything else thats smaller.

I was going to make up a coffin box big enough to take the axles and line it.

Next fit a perspex screen, buy heavy duty gloves (proper gauntlets) and a gun (33893 or 94223 from screwfix).

Any reasons why this won't work for what I need?

Ideas or improvements appreciated........ :)

Regards

Grant

If you have a big enough area then you dont even need the box, the guy who owns the field where some of my cars live shotblasted his truck chassis using an airline gun that draws from a bag or bucket of shot/sand, no reason why you cant do the same.

Do it in a corner though, and wear a respirator, and dont forget to sweep up afterwards - the pit in the workshop is about two inches shallower now :lol:

Lewis

Only problem with the pot guns is constantly running out of shot :( if you extend the suction pipe and dump it into bucket of media then you can blast for a lot longer

blasting-in-a-chamber.jpg

Blast rooms are the only area (outside his members only clubs) that Mr "M"'s leisure wear naughty5.gif has actually proved appropriate

Coffin idea works, the alternative would be a few sheets of clear builders polythene to form a tent, have the light on the outside, respirator on, and party away - that way the resultant nuclear fallout cloud will be minimised, trust me - its gonna get everywhere :huh:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, thinking on this again. Whats the cheapest way to get an effective system running?

There are a couple of pick-up blast guns here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WELDAIR-SUPPLIES-...0QQfsubZ3055565

Are they gonna be what I need for cleaning off big bits (painted / rusty)? What do you do, connect the gun to the compressor and then stick the hose in a bucket of grit?

Also, anyone know where I can get some kind of plastic sheeting that I can hang like 'curtains' fom the ceiling to 'seal' off an area for blasting? Normal crappy tarp - will it last? I don't fancy being limited by a cabinet.

Cheers, Al. Blasting-newbie.

I bought one of these from these people:

One of These

It knocks my old ACE gritblaster into a cocked hat, and got very good service too. Machine Mart are selling them at over £100

Those guns with a hose are awkward to get into close spaces. This unit has a cut-off valve on the nozzle (which you should regard as a consumable) which is a brilliant thing to have.

The ceramic nozzles don't last long, but I've fitted one of my ACE tungsten carbide ones and it will last for ever.

One of These

It knocks my old ACE gritblaster into a cocked hat, and got very good service too. Machine Mart are selling them at over £100

Those guns with a hose are awkward to get into close spaces. This unit has a cut-off valve on the nozzle (which you should regard as a consumable) which is a brilliant thing to have.

The ceramic nozzles don't last long, but I've fitted one of my ACE tungsten carbide ones and it will last for ever.

That DOES look good :D - but I only have a little one :unsure: (compressor that is) at a quoted 9.5 CFM... The blurb on eBay says: Working Pressure : 60-125 psi & 6-25 cfm. Would you happen to know from experience whether this is any good at the lower end of the quoted flow requirements?

Rog

That DOES look good :D - but I only have a little one :unsure: (compressor that is) at a quoted 9.5 CFM... The blurb on eBay says: Working Pressure : 60-125 psi & 6-25 cfm. Would you happen to know from experience whether this is any good at the lower end of the quoted flow requirements?

Rog

I use mine at 80 psi for paint & rust 'cos that's what my compressor (14cfm) will maintain with a 3mm nozzle. I've used it at 64 psi with fine media - no problem. At 90 psi it should shidt anything, depending on media.

It's fitted with a self-draining water seperator which didn't close at the lower pressure so I had to close it manually.

One of These

Looks good, what size compressor (cfm) are you using with it?

Bob :)

Hmm, they look ideal but i'm not struck on £20 postage for a £65 item :angry:

Would £10 postage on a £75 item be better?

It is quite heavy, 19 Kg which would be £12.46 standard parcels with Royal Mail which could take 3 days, this was next day delivery.

• 9 months later...

I,ve went a e about t t and asked a question before doing a search. I just seen this topic. As I said in my bit I got one of the small Sealy type hopper hose and gun. Seems to work well on my trial bits coil spring and its seat from a 110. Only real issue is containing the blasted grit. It tends to go every where. Quite like the washer idea the local amenity site is full of them. I want to be able to do wheel rims can they be done with the tires on if rubber was protected in some way???

I have a 3hp 150ltr compressor.

I've done wheels with tyres on, the rubber doesn't really suffer. Just make sure they are inflated fully to stop grit getting under the bead. Protect the valve with a bit of rubber or plastic tube pushed over it.

As for containing the grit, use a cabinet or build a blast room. Otherwise a few tarpaulins or even a tent.

when i left school i worked for uncle shotblasting using chilled iron or j blast copper slag sand depending on what key the paint wanted for doing aluminium wheels we used either sand if thay were going to be painted or glass beads which almost would polish alloy wheels we done steel wheels with sand or chilled iron if thay were going to be hot metal sprayed i done this for 4 years until i realised there was cleaner and more healthier jobs about