Boge self-leveller...

Orange

I'm just about to do a rear axle swap on the RRC and am wondering what the best thing to do with the self leveling unit is??

Option 1 - leave the old one on and just connect it up to the 'new' rear axle?

Option 2 - take it off and use it as a door stop - that'll please SWMBO!!??

Option 3 - same as option 1, but make modifications to or replace the mountings/jounts to make it move more freely?

Any tips for a semi-clueless basic mechanic?? (I have the LR workshop manual, so I have some idea!!)

TIA

Adrian

Does your self leveller still work?

With the truck empty, measure the height of the rear wheel arches from the ground or better the centre of the wheel, then load something heavy in the back. It needs to be heavy enough to compress the suspension noticeably. Go for a short drive then measure again - if the self leveller still works, the suspension should be back up to the original height.

If it doesn't work, might as well chuck it.

I'm just about to do a rear axle swap on the RRC and am wondering what the best thing to do with the self leveling unit is??

Option 1 - leave the old one on and just connect it up to the 'new' rear axle?

Option 2 - take it off and use it as a door stop - that'll please SWMBO!!??

Option 3 - same as option 1, but make modifications to or replace the mountings/jounts to make it move more freely?

Any tips for a semi-clueless basic mechanic?? (I have the LR workshop manual, so I have some idea!!)

TIA

Adrian

As well as levelling the ride, when laden, the unit acts as a third spring. Even when it is a bit old and not performing as well as it should, it is still providing some support. If you remove it completely, you will find that the back end of the RR is too soft and will sag further on the standard rear suspension. If you have standard rear springs, you may want to upgrade the rear sprngs if you remove the leveller, unless you are making a lightweight special.

If it works ok, and you want to keep it, you can buy new balljoint kits for the top and bottom if they are seizing up.

Regards,

Diff

The unit sort of works at the moment! With a set of 4 wheels and tyres in the back it sits noticably lower than when it's empty, but that's a fair old weight!!

The springs are Scorpion :ph34r: +1", 50% uprated ones all round (they were free!! :) !) so it's not standard. It may also get a further 2" lift in the very near future!!

The replacement axle I've picked up has a leveller on it, so I've got 2 to choose from. Might fit the best of the 2 and see how it goes! Do they hinder the articulation at all?? Or do I not need to worry about that until I'm into serious suspension mods??

Cheers for the responses!

The springs are Scorpion :ph34r: +1", 50% uprated ones all round (they were free!! :) !) so it's not standard. It may also get a further 2" lift in the very near future!!

If you've got a suspension lift, I don't think the self leveller will actually be doing anything? Guess it might raise the suspension back up to standard height if you had a load that compressed it further than that.

The load leveller is quite an inspired bit of design - for Land Rover!

If they are working, they are very impressive & I would leave it in place. They allow the springs to be softer which gives a more comfortable ride (as well as easier articulation) but act as a variable, load dependant spring which helps the axle bump response and of course does a good job levelling it regardless of the weight in the back.

I cut mine off when I had a RR before I really understood what it was all about. But regretted it later!

Si

only the upper & lower ball joints can be replaced, the strut is not repairable [LR state that in the workshop manual]

There's a pretty good description of the function of the unit at click

As I understand it, the unit, even when in the 'relaxed' state, still has significantly high pressure inside and no attempt should be made to dismantle it. Also (obviously) you shouldn't apply heat to it!.

Rog

There's a pretty good description of the function of the unit at click

As I understand it, the unit, even when in the 'relaxed' state, still has significantly high pressure inside and no attempt should be made to dismantle it. Also (obviously) you shouldn't apply heat to it!.

Rog

Yep, don't even think about trying to dismantle a Boge strut.

Modify the mountings or whatever height sensor they use and they could provide added lift without even needing to change your springs ;)

I think that the 'height sensor' is purely a mechanical/hydraulicy thing and is internal to the unit. The only way to modify the ride height on these units (I believe) is to modify the mountings (as said)

Boge have produced ride-height adjustable units, but not AFAIK for Range Rovers.

Rog

Rog, that's a very good description of how they work!

I've not seen a cross section or a diagram before, but knew pretty much how they work (OT - I made a spring on the same principle as a kind of self adjusting pogo stick for those who have eaten the odd pie!).

If you lift the suspension, they will pull it down just as effectively as it will raise it. You would need to pack out the mounting at the chassis end to compensate.

Si

There is a distinct possibility that the one on there is an original from 1987, so I may well swap it out for the one on the replacement axle, it's newer and is off a Police training RR, so is probably in a much better state!

Cheers for the info!

As Simon says, useful little article that Rog pointed out which makes a lot of sense, even to me!!!