Red-ex diesel

Paul64

Yes, it does help, as does ragging the nuts off it!

ATF fluid also works well...get your engine nice and hot, drain the fuel filter and refill with ATF (doesn't matter what type). Then rag the nuts off it...3rd gear, foot to floor bouncing on the limiter for around 20 seconds or so. Will clean up any diesel nicely. You will get clouds of black/grey smoke for around 10 seconds...but this will clean up when all the soot deposits in the engine and exhaust have been blasted out the back, and the injectors are firing a good spray pattern.

Standard procedure before an MOT :)

I put some Red-ex diesel in the LR today, and it really seems to have made a difference. Do you think this is possible after 20 miles, or is it Psychological after paying £3.69 for 100mls?

Cheers,

Paul

It made a remarkable difference to my 112000 mile TD (Peugeot). Stopped the smoking on application of throttle, removed what I thought was turbo-lag, starts better and runs smoother - haven't checked yet but it must be doing more mpg. So impressed I got some for the CBR600 and will be getting some for the RRC one day when I finally get it going...

99p from Halfords :D

Rog

I have been out and bought a bottle from Halfrauds this morning. 99p. I will see if it makes and difference tomorrow on my trip east....

Chris

I manged to find a 500m bottle for £6.99 in Wilco. Cheapest I have found so far. Where are you going East? I am travelling East too. On the ferry at the moment, then back to Munster.

I stopped on my way to the ferry to help a guy on the M20 in a 1 year old German registered Defender 90 from Nuremberg. He had a blow out with a brand new tyre. Completely shredded. Turns out he was a Brit and staying 10 miles away from my parents. Small world.

Cheers,

Paul

Remembered it about 19 miles from home this morning, stopped, put it in and then... this

Grrrrrr.

I was only going to Sussex for a day off-roading.

Chris

That really is a total s**t! So soory to hear that. Nothing to do with the red-ex I hope! I have just got back to Munster, and have been sticking the stuff in with every 50 litres. I'm sold on it!

Cheers,

Paul.

i do try to use a fuel additive when i remember, have used millers, and that is very good, just bought some of the redex, and i think it has made a difference aswell....

got my MOT in a couple of weeks, so trying to clean up the emissions as much as possible......

The MOT station is around 20 miles from home anyway, so no worries there then... I don't think it'd fail anyway, i've run SVO through it on and off throughout the year, and that really cleans up the fuel system... my old 110's emissions dropped every year after i started running a bit of SVO in it...

The MOT station is around 20 miles from home anyway, so no worries there then... I don't think it'd fail anyway, i've run SVO through it on and off throughout the year, and that really cleans up the fuel system... my old 110's emissions dropped every year after i started running a bit of SVO in it...

Sorry what is SVO?

To clean my fuel system, I have still got to get my arm in that tank and retrieve that bl***y fuel can pipe!

Cheers, Paul.

On petrols I can recommend at least once doing the "plugs out" redex treatment - plugs out, a capful of redex down each bore, spin it over and leave for a couple of minutes then plugs back in and fire it up. Unless your engine is really clean, expect smoke for about 5 minutes, and then as soon as you start driving you will get smoke too for a few miles. If it's really dirty the neighbours will call the fire brigade like they did to my mate :lol:

A clean syringe (I used a printer refil one) makes getting it down the bores much easier.

I can vouch for the possible 'fire brigade response'!

Years ago, I decided to do the redex treatment on an old datsun I had. I knew it would smoke a bit so went to a nice big deserted supermarket car park on a Sunday morning and parked in the middle(no one about).

I chose this location so that any smoke would disperse quickly and wouldn't disturb anyone. I pulled the spark plugs out and put a load of redex in the bores (probably too much!). Once I restarted the car and revved it up, the whole carpark started to fill with white smoke! The smoke just wouldn't stop! So I REALLY revved it to try and clear it. - BAD idea!

Even worse! The next thing I hear/see is a fire engine screaming down the road towards me! It hurtles straight over the curbs and into the carpark and screeches to a halt with fireman jumping out as it stops!

THAT was an embarrassing moment!

The fireman were very good about it and as soon as I mentioned Redex they understood and said 'never mind - its all good practice for us'.

This obviously won't happen if you are just adding some redex to your fuel to clean the engine gradually.

Regards,

Diff

Drive to the MOT the long way - a drive of AT LEAST 10 miles will get the engine properly warm (the gauge just tells you that the water is warm) and it will pass just fine. :)

I'm surprise how lax the emission regulations are !!

My tuned 300 TDi shot through with the emission just over half what they are allowed to be.

The inspector said unless you are kicking out a black cloud under heavy throttle (with no load for the MOT) it should pass easy..........

Richard

I'm guilty as well. Did the same with a Toyota Tercel 11 years ago. Went straight to the shops after putting in the redex. The smoke was so bad cars behind had their lights on! I said to my wife I am going to have to head back. Too late, the next set of lights I saw in my rear view mirror were blue and they were flashing! It was the police.

I have a transit connect and can only use Tesco diesel... It's carp fuel and would never use it in my 90... anyway, I got some Redex diesel today and put it all in with a full tank of diesel... after 20 miles I cant believe the difference. The engine is much smoother and it accelerates better with no flat spots like it had before... trouble is a bottle of redex costs over £5 and its now gonna cost me a fortune to keep putting it in. How long do the effects last?

Nick... the smelly one

I have a transit connect and can only use Tesco diesel... It's carp fuel and would never use it in my 90... anyway, I got some Redex diesel today and put it all in with a full tank of diesel... after 20 miles I cant believe the difference. The engine is much smoother and it accelerates better with no flat spots like it had before... trouble is a bottle of redex costs over £5 and its now gonna cost me a fortune to keep putting it in. How long do the effects last?

Nick... the smelly one

£5 for how many mls? I paid £6.99 for a 500ml bottle from Wilco. This was a lot cheaper than Halfords by a big margin.

Cheers, Paul.

Nick....

What do you think is wrong with Supermarket fuel ?

Supermarkets buy it from the big oil companies. It's made of exactly the same stuff as theirs as there are exacting specifications that fuel is made to !

How do you think it can be different ?