V8 Cooling

After reading two very good threads from Nige (Hybrid from Hell)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=8655

and

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=8867

I've done some of what he did and in reverse order....

During a short visit from Western (Ralph) in December we wired my fans with an over-ride switch.

So today, with a man who knows how to cut bodywork, we set about installing side vents a-la-Nige.

In order to get the location looking natural, I traced the vent location from a friends TDi

This was used as a template for both sides of the car. (The wheel arch and rear of the wing used as location points)

Wing%20Template.JPG

The area was clearly marked and the initial cut through made...

Wing%20cut%20through.JPG

Ricky then cut along the straight edges with another gadget (He's got a full workshop of stuff...)

Wing%20cut%20along.JPG

And then using yet another gadget (You can see I'm no expert fabricator..) he cut the corners out..

Wing%20Corners.JPG

At this point we had a slightly rough hole in the wing...

Wing%20hole.JPG

So, yet another tool was abused to clean up the hole...

Wing%20clean%20hole.JPG

We (Yes I was involved in some of this...) then dabbed some grease on the 5 clip posts on the vent and pushed it against the wing to get drill point locations. The holes were drilled and the grill fitted.

Wing%20vent%20fitted.JPG

We didn't have suitable clips to attach the grill so silicon sealant was used.

The engine was run up to temperature and when the fans cut in, a nice stream of hot air flowed out of the new wing vents...

Thanks for the idea and guidance Nige.

Guest diesel_jim

my old 3.9 V8 90 used to get quite hot. i put longer bolts in the 4 "support" screws that fit across the fornt of the bonnet (With the little rubber condom things on the end).

raised the front of the bonnet up by about 1/2", hardly noticible (unless you were an anorak!) but it let a LOT more air in over the engine/rad