Oh, f***** **** **** **** **** **stard!

GBMUD

Look what I was doing just 11 short months ago.

Can you guess what I will be doing AGAIN this week? Bloody thing. In common with last time I was towing the trailer and was only about 20m miles from home. I have been consoling myself by telling myself that 1. It was not snowing this time. 2. I was not going anywhere important. 3. It did not go in Spain in a few months time.

Chris

Look what I was doing just 11 short months ago.

Can you guess what I will be doing AGAIN this week? Bloody thing. In common with last time I was towing the trailer and was only about 20m miles from home. I have been consoling myself by telling myself that 1. It was not snowing this time. 2. I was not going anywhere important. 3. It did not go in Spain in a few months time.

Chris

Chris, sorry to hear your tale of woe, but why did Land Rover when they designed the 200 & 300 TDi not look at the V8 warranty list of faults with duplex chains running in luverly clean refreshing oil. I bet LR have had precious few warranty claims with chains on V8's and lists as long as your arm for rubber belts on diesels. Crazy................................

ive had the cambelt snap twice on my 200Tdi as well. its rather irritating isnt it? never did find why my 2nd belt broke. on the bright side it only cost me £100 to fix it the 2nd time. belt/gaskets/pushrods & the belt was a genuine one everytime.

damn it gets worse & worse doesnt it? still if you look on ebay you can get a chinese import 125cc trials bike (road legal) for just under £800 brand new to your door. at least with the funds sandbag has left you, you should be able to offroad & get to work... :ph34r:

When things go "Bang" its bad enough

My personal hate is when things that have previously gone "bang" and you fix them properly then go "Bang" again, real PITFA and makes me mad :angry: ...so feel for you, and from the little I know of TDis not the "Nicest" job to do :(

For my own curiousity what was the maker of the cam belt genuine LR or pattern part ?

If genuine then you deserve even more sympathy, ......if pattern is it worth maybe thinking of paying extra for genuine ???

Nige

from the little I know of TDis not the "Nicest" job to do :(

For my own curiousity what was the maker of the cam belt genuine LR or pattern part ?

If genuine then you deserve even more sympathy, ......if pattern is it worth maybe thinking of paying extra for genuine ???

Nige

It was a genuine belt, tensioner etc..

It is not too bad a job fortunately. I think I would rather change the belt on a Tdi than the chain on a V8 - at least there is less oil. :)

Chris

Chris, you want a nice set of Zeus timing gears to sort that: When they fail after 14 months they remover the problem by taking the whole engine with them :ph34r:

Seriously, I feel for you. As Nige said, when you do a job right and then everything goes wrong shortly afterwards its really demoralising. The same things happend to a friend very recently although his didn't even last the year :(

Chris, you want a nice set of Zeus timing gears to sort that: When they fail after 14 months they remover the problem by taking the whole engine with them :ph34r:

My mate offered me a spare duplex timing chain from he Jeep earlier. I told him where to stick it! :lol:

Chris

Sorry about the cam belt! I was looking forward to seeing you at Shoreham today!

When my 300tdi (don't ask!) kept breaking belts, I considered fitting one of the same TV cameras I now have on the front & rear of the 90 inside the timing case so I could see when the belt was about to break and replace it before it bent the push rods & broke the rockers too!

Since the cameras are so cheap now - it would be quite a cool thing to be able to see!

Si

I have changed others that are OK Bish... Do you have a god? :D

Paul, if it happens to you or someone else, put in a call to Autopost who will export the bits. Then you tow the car home or to a garage and go from there. There must be worse places to break down than Romania! :)

Chris

I know its easy for me to state the obvious but many 200tdi's go over the belt change interval without damage.Surley there must be other factors that are making your belts fail? i see you are using genuine parts so no problems there. Just a thought but what about the tensioning method, I see you use one of the draper angular guages but maybe try one of the expensive dial type guages (beg borrow or hire one) perhaps the 200tdi is really sensitive to belt tension. another problem i have heard of before is a very, very slightly bent con rod which can set up undesirable vibrations or perhaps pully damage that is not immeadiatly noticable? there does not seem to be a lot of oil contamination but there does look to be a lot of dust in there that has come from somewhere.

just a few thoughts

how many miles are these belts lasting out of interest?

I just replaced a 50,000 mile one, no problems. Looked new!.

The dial gauge is for setting the tensioner, a torque gauge is used to set the nut holding the tensioner in place - you need both to do the job really.

Bad luck Chris, let us know if its anything unusual.

Jas