The RRC/B&Q Super-extreme snorkel

FridgeFreezer

A few people have asked about snorkels, and I've mentioned this a few times but never got round to taking photos... so here they are!

All made from standard guttering downpipe (2.5"? 3"? Who knows?) total cost about £20, and made entirely by my dad who is not known for his affinity for car maintenance (as witnessed by the cleanliness of the engine bay!)

Top trim is a bottom piece, snorkel is retained to vehicle by a cable tie through a ~5mm hole drilled in the roof gutter - if you hit something, the cable tie will probably fail first:

web_IMG_0330.jpg

Entry to scuttle panel - measure this five times before cutting as everyone (dad included) cuts it wrong due to a piece of something you can't see underneath:

web_IMG_0331.jpg

Pretty unobtrusive appearance (it would be less obvious if the scuttle was in nicer nick) you can get trim pieces I believe but we're not into that sort of extravagence round here:

web_IMG_0332.jpg

A couple of views of the feed-through, cut in a pretty similar way to the top entry :rolleyes: mind those fingers! The elbow is 45 degrees I think. Hold a protractor against the screen if you need to know ;)

web_IMG_0333.jpg

web_IMG_0334.jpg

Here you can see the engine bay routing:

web_IMG_0335.jpg

Two 90 degree bends pick up the original air box, the end of the trumpet was sawn off, and with a bit of sealant and sparky tape it all went together nicely:

web_IMG_0336.jpg

The sealant used was a special guttering sealant that doesn't fully set, so you can pull the thing apart to change air filters (or if you hit a tree) and put it back together without problem. To keep water out of the airbox, a ping-pong ball was shoved into the rubber vent with more sealant.

As you can see, it works pretty well:

slindon_splash.jpg

I was concerned that not being a "proper" snorkel top it would suck in rain water but it never has, either when driving in the rain or parked up.

I should also mention that if you have a vehicle with lambda sensors (if you have cats you probably have lambda sensors) you should not use silicone sealant, or probably anything else you find at B&Q, as the vapours it gives off will kill the sensors. You need some sensor-safe sealant / RTV / instant-gasket from the motor factors. My local place does some good stuff that comes in standard "gripfill" style cartridges and will stick pretty much any bit of a car to any other bit :D

I was concerned that not being a "proper" snorkel top it would suck in rain water but it never has, either when driving in the rain or parked up.

I should also mention that if you have a vehicle with lambda sensors (if you have cats you probably have lambda sensors) you should not use silicone sealant, or probably anything else you find at B&Q, as the vapours it gives off will kill the sensors. You need some sensor-safe sealant / RTV / instant-gasket from the motor factors. My local place does some good stuff that comes in standard "gripfill" style cartridges and will stick pretty much any bit of a car to any other bit :D

Good point.

However mines a deep fat fryer.

Pete.

stick any bit of the car to any other bit? reminds me about a car with sills fitted using no more nails!

how much is that snorkel in a nice shiney pretty orange colour? :ph34r:

About £4.99 for the spray can.

Soo that'll be a special retail price of, whats a good number........... £200?????

I have my coat and i've left the crime scene.