Spot weld drill why didn't I get one earlier?

Rustyrangie

Hi all,

being a cheapskate I've always used a standard 3/8" bit to remove spot welds.

Not any more.

Got a spot weld drill from screwfix for £6.99 as I needed to add a few quid to my order to get free P&P.

What a brilliant little tool! made removing my Rangie rear floor a doddle.

If anyone else is like me and thought these were a gimmick then think again and get one, you won't regret it.

Bob.

3.9eFi RRC on LPG (and in bits)

Why didn't you post this a week ago? :(

I've got one row of spot welds to go on the rangie boot floor and no sharp drill bits left :( Time I bought a new grind wheel for the drill sharpener, I think... I was expecting it to be an easy job - turns out there's a lot more solid metal in the back of my truck than I'd realised :huh:

What's different about a spot weld bit, then?

Geoff, there are two types I have used. The first one is like a tiny hole saw with a pin which centres the cutting edge on the spot weld. These are good, and available in most motor factors. However, when I came to do the disco, I did an eBlag search for 'spot weld drill' and cam up with sple small carbide drills that were ground with a point in the middle and two excellent cutting edges, and they drilled a kinda flat disc out. These were much easier to use than the first type, but I have no idea where to get some from now. They were sykes-pickavant ones, so top notch quality - will see if I can find some details...

Mark

The second type is what I use. Morelli paint/panel suppliers sell them for around £7.

It's worth mentioning that these drills are easily damaged and are a right swine to sharpen. High speed is a big no-no, and a small amount of lubricant, such as WD40 or similar prolong the life of the bit.

Les. :)

The second type is what I use. Morelli paint/panel suppliers sell them for around £7.

It's worth mentioning that these drills are easily damaged and are a right swine to sharpen. High speed is a big no-no, and a small amount of lubricant, such as WD40 or similar prolong the life of the bit.

Thanks for the warning!

It turned up today - viscious little bugger :) Unfortunately I've gone and got a chest infection so not sure when I'll get out to play with it :(

Thanks for the warning!

It turned up today - viscious little bugger :) Unfortunately I've gone and got a chest infection so not sure when I'll get out to play with it :(

You have my sympathy Geoff, I got the same thing (chest infection, that is) on Boxing day. Took almost 3 weeks and a course of amoxycillin to clear up.

Some good came out of it though...being unable to do anything strenuous I did some surfing and I found this forum!

Get well soon,

Bob

You have my sympathy Geoff, I got the same thing (chest infection, that is) on Boxing day. Took almost 3 weeks and a course of amoxycillin to clear up.

Some good came out of it though...being unable to do anything strenuous I did some surfing and I found this forum!

Get well soon,

Bob

I've had this for about a year and a half - when I first got it my doctor insisted it was a common cold and wouldn't prescribe anything. Guy on the next desk caught it off me and his doc diagnosed a chest infection and dosed him up with anti-biotics. He was right as rain a couple of days later - I had it for a month and half, and still get a chesty cough whenever I have a cold :angry:

Typically, was on the mend by the time I got to see the doc this morning, so he still insists there's nothing wrong, but he's put me on anti-biotics for infected sinuses so hopefully that'll sort the chest out as well :rolleyes: