Clutch pedal

I have two Defenders - the first is a 1994 200 TDI now running a 1996 300 TDI and the other is a 1996 300 TDI. The clutch pedal on the older vehichile is much much harder/stiffer to depress relative to the "newer" model. The stiffness has nothing to do with hydraulics, top or bottom, which have been chaged several times during the 675000+ kms that I have done so far.

So 1. what is the difference between the two models ?

2. can the older model's pedal be "softened" and if then how ?

TIA

Adam

There is a difference on some models (unsure of years) where the tower the clutch pivot is on and the position of the pivot gives an easier lighter clutch push.

I have one one mine, but can't rememebr the part numbers nor what it was off.

Nuts and bolts "easy fit" and makes a world of difference

Western may be able to help

Nige

Difference down to the assist/return spring on the later pedal assembly, get another & fit it to the 200Tdi, done it on my 1989 110, just a sraight forward swap & swap the clutch master over to the new pedal assembly, part number is SUB100320 [previously known as ANR3400].

get both vehicles side by side & look at the clutch pedal inside the cab, might have to move some trim, you'll soon spot the different arrangement.

Thanks Western

The upper clutch pump is leaking so that will have to come out anyway in the near future so no problems there. I don't really understand which bits swap out - can you please explain it slowly ?

TIA

Adam

get your hands on the pedal assembly [part number above] which is identical to the pedal in your 300Tdi truck,

on the 200Tdi truck remove the pedal complete with the clutch master cylinder [upper clutch pump, as you call it] & fit the new upper clutch pump & new pedal unit.

new pedal assist spring as on your 300Tdi truck

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1085-1.jpg

parts book page new pedal unit

File0091.jpg

clutch pump pushrod adjustment info

File0060a.jpg

Note --- in the above drawing you can see the earlier spring set up attached to the main body lower face

hope that helps. :D

Edited by western