Axle breather

Rustyrangie

Hi, me again with another silly question.

While sorting out my boot floor, fuel lines etc I found a length of plastic pipe, with a U bend at one end, ty-wrapped to the rear axle but not connected to anything.

I suspect this is/was the breather for the rear axle, however there doesn't seem anywhere for it to connect.

There is a boss on top of the axle, about 6 inches from the diff., with a bolt screwed into it, is this possibly the breather connection?

How complicated is the breather? I could easily remove the bolt, drill it and solder in a bit of brake pipe then fit the "breather pipe" over this but I was wondering if there was a non-return valve in the pipe. Is a breather really necessary anyway? Mine looks to have been absent for some time but I tend to think that LR wouldn't have spent the money on it if it wasn't needed.

As always, any help will be very welcome.

Bob :)

3.9V8 efi slowly recovering from tin worm.

The stock breathers are banjo bolts with a small barb to connect the plastic tube to, the hole in the axle is 1/8" BSP and you can get new breathers for not much money. If you are off-roading/wading it's a good idea to extend them, you can buy extended breathers for around £25 a set, or for about a tenner at the local hydraulics place you can get two 1/8" BSP elbows and a few metres of nylon push-fit hose.

They are needed to relieve pressure in the axle as the oil heats up / vapour is created. Also when wading as a hot axle casing hits cold water it contracts and will suck in air through the breather (hence why to extend it, otherwise it will suck in water!). If your breather is blocked then this pressure buildup / suction will find its way though other places like oil seals - which is less desirable ;)

The stock breathers are banjo bolts with a small barb to connect the plastic tube to, the hole in the axle is 1/8" BSP and you can get new breathers for not much money. If you are off-roading/wading it's a good idea to extend them, you can buy extended breathers for around £25 a set, or for about a tenner at the local hydraulics place you can get two 1/8" BSP elbows and a few metres of nylon push-fit hose.

They are needed to relieve pressure in the axle as the oil heats up / vapour is created. Also when wading as a hot axle casing hits cold water it contracts and will suck in air through the breather (hence why to extend it, otherwise it will suck in water!). If your breather is blocked then this pressure buildup / suction will find its way though other places like oil seals - which is less desirable ;)

Hi Fridge, thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I've got all the bits and bobs you describe plus loads of nylon hose to suit (thanks to a former employer!)

I might as well fit an extended breather while I've got the boot floor out, makes the job so much easier.

On closer inspection, the "bolt" was indeed a banjo with the neck broken off and the resulting hole filled with gunge.

Interestingly when I unscrewed it there was a definite "PFFFT" so there must have been some pressure still in the axle even after 3 months off the road!

I suppose it shows the seals are OK.

There is another breather on the front axle.

Depending on your gearbox, there may also be a couple there and if its a TDI, then the kits come with a breather from the timing cover.

I got 4 stainless elbows from Hyphose and a load of 6mm(??) nylon piping to do mine... much cheaper than buying the kits, and they do lots of different funky coloured pipe!! :D

Dan

There is another breather on the front axle.

Depending on your gearbox, there may also be a couple there and if its a TDI, then the kits come with a breather from the timing cover.

I got 4 stainless elbows from Hyphose and a load of 6mm(??) nylon piping to do mine... much cheaper than buying the kits, and they do lots of different funky coloured pipe!! :D

Dan

Thanks Dan, I guessed there'd be one on the front axle but I haven't got that far yet. Slowly working my way round from RH sill & inner wing via rear crossmember, boot floor etc.

Thanks for the info on the gearbox one(s) too....hadn't thought to look there.

I'm afraid the pipe I have to hand is plain old industrial quality black.....I'm a bit old for funky colours anyway...unless they do a nice wrinkly beige of course!

Bus pass arrives in November!

Bob :lol: