What engine have I got?

According to Calvin my Vin number indicates 'C Engine type: 2.5 litre diesel (model 12J)' but a round disc on the rocker box reads 'Engine "Type Mk 6B"' Whats the difference and what is the tag "Type Mk 6B" trying to tell me?

Regards

12J is the Naturally Aspirated Diesel, The 6B bit I don't understand.

It is a N/A. What I didn't mentione, because I didn't think it was relevant, is the fact its ex Miliatry. Do you think its some military coding?

Thanks

I'm not sure about this... :unsure: but in the Military Supplementary Parts Catalogue it lists the vehicles under a contract number, the catalogue I have is from September 86 and the vehicles listed start from 12A up to 28B so you may find that 6B is a contract number for the vehicle or the engine; is your Land Rover pre 86?

I'm not sure about this... :unsure: but in the Military Supplementary Parts Catalogue it lists the vehicles under a contract number, the catalogue I have is from September 86 and the vehicles listed start from 12A up to 28B so you may find that 6B is a contract number for the vehicle or the engine; is your Land Rover pre 86?

Sorry I seem to keep with-holding bits of info, I should have given you all the details in the first place, just didn't think it would be relevant.

Ex military 1991 Defender 90 Hard top, 2.5 N/A.

Thanks for your patience

1991... ok that seems to have pi$$ed on that explanation then, although it's still possible that it's a replacement engine from an earlier contract. <_<

Looking at the 1991 parts catalogue it lists the 2.5NAD as 11J and not 12J, what's the number stamped on the block?

Thanks for all your interest. Embarrassed to say as I have only just got the 90 I haven’t even got the engine number yet. Here in Ireland its blowing a northerly blizzard and the truck is outside with no cover for half a mile!! so I’ll check for the turbo oil feed plug and get my ass into gear and get the engine number tomorrow. Red, I’m encouraged to hear that you had a similar setup with year and 6B tag, you could be on the right track. Perhaps you gents would be so kind as to have a look here tomorrow.

Regards

Well the snow has disappeared so out to the truck to check engine details, which is a bit of a shame as I fancied having a drive around in the snow.

Western & Pyrover: My engine number is 11J00986A. Number is stamped ‘above the rear side cover’

Red: my engine appears to be identical, (even down to the same colour and same Mk6B tag) to your photo with the large plug slightly above and to the right of the dipstick. So looks like you have the answer. Again thanks for every ones help. I’m sure more questions will follow as I get into giving the girl some TLC.

regards

10J 2.25 diesel 5 bearing

11A 2.4 VM TURBO D

11J 2.5 N/A DIESEL MOD

11L 2.5 TDI DIESEL (200TDI)

17H 2.5 PETROL

12J 2.5 DIESEL N/A

12L 2.5 TDI (DISCOVERY)

14J 2.5 DIESEL FREIGHT ROVER

15H 2.5 DIESEL CARBODIES (LONDON CAB)

15J 2.5 DIESEL FREIGHT ROVER

19J 2.5 TURBO DIESEL 90/110

22J 2.5 TURBO DIESEL FREIGHT ROVER

• 9 years later...

I think I'm correct in saying that a round metal disk on the rocker cover is the Military way of denoting that the engine has been modified in some way. In my case the disk bore the stamps of AMRO, the work contract number, and the individual job code. This particular engine had also been repainted duck egg blue, as an additional quick identification of a reconditioned engine. The purpose, obviously, to alert the military mechanics that they're not dealing with a standard NAD 12J. In my example, the original engine number had also been ground away. 

Have fun,

MoD90 

My 12J is also an Ex MOD 110 LHD from the British base in Alberta, Canada. It has the same tag on the rocker cover as well as this re-manufacture tag. I'm still not sure what the Mk. 4/6B is all about. 

Cheers,

Colin

Rocker Tab.jpg

Reman Tag.jpg

Edited by Cchase

If you look in this thread there is a link to a list of military Land Rovers. If you then read the details of the 2nd vehicle on the list it is referred to as a Land Rover Mk 6B as are others in the same document. Although that 2nd vehicle listed is quite interesting in that it had the R380 gearbox fitted in 1990. Whereas  it was not fitted to Civilian Land Rovers until they were fitted with the 300Tdi in 1994

Whilst a bit like reading the phone directory there are some interesting vehicles on the list

Edited by neil110

The 19J had bigger bearings than the 12J, as well as the oil galleries for the turbo charger.  The 12J gave way to the 19J on civilian markets, but the MoD didn't want it (evidently they did more rigorous trials than LR), so a 2.5 nad continued to enter service until the 300Tdi with the TUL and TUM "Wolf" and "Pulse" vehicles.  That nad was made using the 19J block, bearings and crank shaft with 12J externals, rods and pistons (12J has 23:1 cr while 19J has 21:1, so 19J parts are not good for nad).  Given that these were no longer fully 12J spec engines, redesignation was necessary.  I suspect the Mk6B tags are to draw attention to the difference for REME mechanics as the engine looks very similar to the 12J and confusion in parts fitting could occur.