Franken engine experiment

I once built a 2.5 petrol engine using a 2.5NA diesel short block and the rest of the parts off of a 2.25 five main petrol but it ran great. In a similar line of thought I've got another hair brianed idea that has been bugging me for a few years so I'm going to give it a go.

Many of the ex BATUS 90/110s over here in Canada have 2.5NA diesels but the blocks are 2.5TD 19J blocks and have the oil feed and drain drilled and tapped. I've picked one up of these 2.5na engines with the 19J block and a very low compression complete 2.5TD 19J, I'm going to add the Turbo system off of the 19J but leave the stock NA injection pump on the engine. If it runs ok I might then add a propane injection system. I hope to end up with an engine that runs at least as well as a 2.5NA at sealevel when it is up in the mountians at 7000ft... on top of that I hope to use the propane to give it a bit of extra power and to increase the fuel mileage.

So am I nuts? I was told that I couldn't do the 2.5 diesel 2.25 gas combination at the time... maybe this new franken engine will work out to ;)

I once built a 2.5 petrol engine using a 2.5NA diesel short block and the rest of the parts off of a 2.25 five main petrol but it ran great. In a similar line of thought I've got another hair brianed idea that has been bugging me for a few years so I'm going to give it a go.

Many of the ex BATUS 90/110s over here in Canada have 2.5NA diesels but the blocks are 2.5TD 19J blocks and have the oil feed and drain drilled and tapped. I've picked one up of these 2.5na engines with the 19J block and a very low compression complete 2.5TD 19J, I'm going to add the Turbo system off of the 19J but leave the stock NA injection pump on the engine. If it runs ok I might then add a propane injection system. I hope to end up with an engine that runs at least as well as a 2.5NA at sealevel when it is up in the mountians at 7000ft... on top of that I hope to use the propane to give it a bit of extra power and to increase the fuel mileage.

So am I nuts? I was told that I couldn't do the 2.5 diesel 2.25 gas combination at the time... maybe this new franken engine will work out to ;)

Hi it will work but do not use to big turbo then you will not have a engine to run. it will blow up.

I have tray whit a 2.8d nissan and a truck turbo it work for ten min and blow up

Hi it will work but do not use to big turbo then you will not have a engine to run. it will blow up.

I have tray whit a 2.8d nissan and a truck turbo it work for ten min and blow up

TD pistons are different to NA. NA are plain aluminium and TD although dimensionally identical are 2 different materials to reduce heat stress cracking. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to turn up the fueling so there shouldn't be too much in the way of extra heat. Infact I think that the exhuast gas temp will reduce due to more complete combustion taking place. Now I could be wrong so feel free to point out how this is doomed to fail. Mostly I'm trying to get the engine to perform like it is at sea level when I'm at higher elevations. I live at about 4000ft and drive up to the 7000ft range at times and the 2.5na really is suffering at these elevations compaired to when I run it down on the coast. I'm not trying to get it up to TDI performance but if it does workout I might mess with it further and and an intercooler. In the long run I'll rebuild the 19J or find a 200TDI when I can afford it. My frame is galvanised so the 300TDI is out of the picture unless someone has figured out how to make that work without cutting and welding the older frame.

If you don't turn up the fuelling I should think there will be not too much in the way of extra power either....

It may work at higher altitudes though, if thats all you want.

Right now at 4000ft + elevation I get alot of black smoke when my foot is in it and it needs to be in it to try and keep up with traffic. At sea leval it produces very little black smoke and keeps up with traffic ok. Hence to start with I want to replicate the preformance I get at sea level and if that works perhaps play a bit more. I've got a couple of spare good 2.5na engines in the garage but no good Turbo diesels.

It will never work, never!!!!!!

Hang on, no..... that would be bad for me.... :lol:

Just kidding. I think it sounds like a good idea actually.

The turbo does use up some power so some extra fuel might be needed in the end to realize all of the gains. I'd try it as is, but you might need to use the TD pump in the end to get some extra fuel on boost without making it smoke off boost. Then just keep the wastegate backed off so that the boost is low. We are at around 2 psi below see level pressure here and at 7000 ft is would be 3 psi. So maybe 3 psi boost would be a good choice to start with.

It will never work, never!!!!!!

Hang on, no..... that would be bad for me.... :lol:

Just kidding. I think it sounds like a good idea actually.

The turbo does use up some power so some extra fuel might be needed in the end to realize all of the gains. I'd try it as is, but you might need to use the TD pump in the end to get some extra fuel on boost without making it smoke off boost. Then just keep the wastegate backed off so that the boost is low. We are at around 2 psi below see level pressure here and at 7000 ft is would be 3 psi. So maybe 3 psi boost would be a good choice to start with.

If you don't turn up the fuel, it will run lean and your combustion temp will increase and you will melt a piston. If you get the mixture right then the combustion temp will be higher than N/A, and you will melt a piston.If you overfuel this will also increase combustion temperatures and you will melt a piston. If you change the pistons to ones from a turbo then you can run boost up to maybe 6 or 7 psi and fuel to match, fit an intercooler too and who knows. Its a lot of work but if you have the bits what is there to loose? Good Luck!

Turns out the 19J I've got is not dead and I've got it running on a test stand but does need work. However, I'm still interested in trying the Franken engine. I can't see lean being a problem with the diesel engine, over fueling is a problem.