steering wheels

JST

i have an '84 defender with the 4 spoke 90/110 style steering wheel.

i am contemplating fitting a tdi style (i'll call it that for arguments sake) steering wheel that is one of the two spoke ones with the flat centre and black LR recessed badge over the bolt.

Will this fit straight on???

I have heard mixed thoughts on this one. are def 200 and 300tdi steering wheels the same ro did the spline change around then?

there is also the td5 style steering wheel - the one with the LR 'airbag' lump of plastic (yes i know some tdi have these as well but for simplicity i will call it a td5 one). i have heard this will go straight onto the spline but a tdi one won't.

Whats the general conscensus then?

And where or who might have one available?

Tdi wheel won't fit, but one of the two types of td5 wheel will fit, I 'think' it's the one with the lump in the middle but not sure.

I have found that an '89 RR wheel (2 spoke leather, hmm nice) will also fit in place of the early 4 spoke 90/110 wheel, just needs a bit of triming of either the plastic colum surround on the 90/110 column or the squishy foam on the back of the wheel itself as the two come into contact before the splines are fully on.

Tdi wheel won't fit, but one of the two types of td5 wheel will fit, I 'think' it's the one with the lump in the middle but not sure.

I have found that an '89 RR wheel (2 spoke leather, hmm nice) will also fit in place of the early 4 spoke 90/110 wheel, just needs a bit of triming of either the plastic colum surround on the 90/110 column or the squishy foam on the back of the wheel itself as the two come into contact before the splines are fully on.

Wot Mark said - I did exactly the same.

BTW, you may also have to get creative with the stepped disk on the back of the wheel if you want to keep self canceling indicators!

there is also the td5 style steering wheel - the one with the LR 'airbag' lump of plastic (yes i know some tdi have these as well but for simplicity i will call it a td5 one). i have heard this will go straight onto the spline but a tdi one won't.

I understand the Td5 type "airbag without an airbag" wheel will fit straight on to the splines in place of the original 4 spoke wheel fitted to earlier 90/110.

But a Tdi type one (with the dig-outable LR badge in the middle as fitted to all mid 1990s 300Tdis) will not - that is a different spline which is the same as a Rover Metro wheel, because somebody I know with an older 300Tdi has one of those fitted, a nice modification for a smaller wheel but it won't fit yours.

The "airbag" wheel is fitted to some new vehicles (e g Tdi 90 Station Wagons like mine which is 2004, and I think most or all Td5s) and the "old" type wheel is fitted to some others (such as new Tdi engined 110 Station Wagons). Quite why LR choose to have 2 different types of steering column and two different types of steering wheel on vehicles being produced simultaneously on the same production line is one of life's unanswerable questions.... :huh:

Yep, know the "What steering wheel should I fit other than the revolting plastic one" problem well !

Looked at many of the aftermarket ones,

those I liked were silly money, ................those that weren't were, er...horrible !

TDi stuff doesn't fit, BUT, a Late TD5 CSW wheel, such as this DOES...

It (for some seriously odd reason) goes back to the earlier spline style, bolts on as tho it was originally made for it ! (and mines C Plate 1985)

wheel001Medium.jpg

And thats why I have one !....

Know what your going to be looking for at Old Sodbury then :lol:

Nige

Hello,

90/110 circa '84 to 90' has the same steering shaft as a def td5 csw.

Def90/110 circa 90' to present are all the same apart from TD5 csw which is of course the same earlier.....

Understand...??????

Thought not :P

As for disco and range??????

F**k knows?

Jim :)

White 90,

Mmmmmmmmm momo, very nice. Where from and how much??? Also, how the hell do you get your cab that clean

Dave

Demon tweeks for the wheel £170 boss was £25 normally £40

Divster I never take it off road just a tarmac vehicle ;)

I know it looks dreadfull look at that tatty seat tut tut

I have had new covers since....

I've got a MOMO wheel as well, and I love it!

It was originally on my Mazda sports car before our crash (God rest her soul) and was stripped before the Insurance man got his hands on it!

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

Not sure I paid as much as Tony, I think mine was about £120 plus the boss.

Have Momo wheels on the shelf for around£90 +vat

Boss is around £35 :)

If anyone is intrested.

We also do a custom bad adaptor to keep the steering wheel in the same position as a standard wheel, rather than most bosses that bring the steering wheel much closer to the driver.

Sorry don't usually do the "Plug" thing...... :blink:

Jim :)

If my memory serves me correctly, long time since I had a series, the splines are the same on all the Rover vehicles up to the 90's maybe even later.

If that is the case with the 110, can't see them changing it, then SD1, Montego etc should also fit without having to use an adaptor boss or if you are on a budget.

You can pick up a good used Momo leather wheel on Ebay for under £30 - masses of them. Mine is a 14" wheel and makes turning in much quicker/driving generally more comfortable.

I have a run out 300TDi Defender - as it's a CSW it has the RR Classic steering column and I bought the Momo hub for £35 delivered. [i was told that Halfords sell a cheaper range of bosses and they must include the RR Classic.] My original wheel was the one that looks like it has an airbag - the wheel shape is an adaption of a run-out Classic wheel.

sw15yl.jpg

The Momo boss only brings the wheel forward by 3/4"....surprisingly, made the driving position more comfortable [i am 6'2"]. I had to trim 1/4" from the front of the steering column shroud.

sw20gg.jpg

Finally, there's a guy on Ebay who sells steering wheel pullers for under £10 - brilliant kit and highly desirable.

I thought that the steering column changed when the Defender got a disc-brake rear axle.

Neil

If my memory serves me correctly, long time since I had a series, the splines are the same on all the Rover vehicles up to the 90's maybe even later.

If that is the case with the 110, can't see them changing it, then SD1, Montego etc should also fit without having to use an adaptor boss or if you are on a budget.

Tdi two spoke wheels are the same as the series ones, but these are different to the 90/110 4 spoke wheels.

Finally, there's a guy on Ebay who sells steering wheel pullers for under £10 - brilliant kit and highly desirable.

I used to just remove the nut and sit there thumping the wheel from behind with my fists.

Thump, thump,...

you know that sort of here's a Nige moment coming

Thump, thump...

Hit it harder..

Thump, thump...

bang..

that's the bang of the now free and very fast moving wheel making contact with my face

Now I always slacken but leave the nut in place ;)

Just for the sake of some contrast, I used a wheel from Issotta instead of Momo. Momo's were just too expensive, and the bosses too hard to get in Australia, Issotta had them on the shelf.

P5110001Small.jpg

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy