Health & Safety

Tried to get an A bar fitted by my local Land Rover dealer today (thought I'd get as many accessories fitted before I collect our new toy!).

Dealer advised he's sold out of all the Defender A Bars as they will be illegal for dealers to fit at the end of May. :angry:

They were being sold for £90 (Genuine Land Rover with Defender embossed).

The dealer MAY be able to get hold of one with the lamp surrounds incorporated - but he's not sure as the spares ordering system won't allow him to order one officially. :rolleyes:

Just what will the Health & Safety Executive ban next in order to save us from ourselves?????

They should be able to obtain & fit the plastic A bar, no main dealer of any vehicle is allowed to fit steel A bars/nudge bar for a while now, construction & use regs & road safety/accident prevention stopped it.

if you mean this one then I can't see why their not allowed to fit it, still shown on LR's main website in normal accesories & G4 accessories.

post-20-1178646571_thumb.jpg

They should be able to obtain & fit the plastic A bar, no main dealer of any vehicle is allowed to fit steel A bars/nudge bar for a while now, construction & use regs & road safety/accident prevention stopped it.

if you mean this one then I can't see why their not allowed to fit it, still shown on LR's main website in normal accesories & G4 accessories.

Yes - that's the one I wanted - the ABS plastic/rubber one. They are not selling them (they're out of stock after reducing them in price dramatically). And the Land Rover dealer claims that they - and any other reputable garage are not allowed to fit them as from the end of May.

If I can get hold of one secondhand - I can of course fit it myself, but the A bars are now discontinued - even though they are listed in the catalogue.

Guest diesel_jim

Have you read the small print on this matter....

you can fit a steel non "stupid-people-stood-in-the-road-who-shouldn't-be-there" friendly bar to new vehicles that are registered up to may 25th this year (in a few weeks time), but i don't think you can after that.

you can buy from a supplier, their "old" stock of bars that they've bought in, but i assume they can't buy any more in after the above date.

I can't imagine the police are going to stop every vehicle asking when it was regstered and where/who you got the bar from, none of their goddam business, and you just reply "can't remember, i had it on my old truck, had it shotblasted and re-coated so it looks new"

and it doesn't mention "home made" bars.... just say you copied a design of another bar and made it yourself. i did on my old 110... i copied the camel trophy bar that sticks out right at knee height to protect the front of my 8274... which is at shin height

I think the the trouble will start when you are involved in a accident and the insurance people laugh at you and refuse to cough up any £££££< I have told my insurance firm about all my mods but like you say come may when you cant fit them any more who knows what the premium will be.

On a simaler note I work in road construction and all our work vans/wagons have tow bars on, we have our own fitter and shop, but send all new vehicles away to have tow packs fitted as the insurance firm have said that if some one runs in to the rear of one of our vehicales and there is damage to their car we may be liable for all costs unless we can prove it was fitted correctly by a trained and compitent person

:hysterical: at Rob's last paragraph, it's not your employers problem if some dummy runs into the back of your works motor it's their stupid fault, the insurance co are trying it on methinks. tough cookie if some dummy runs into the back of my truck the get all the damage they deserve for being to darn close.

just sent my navara into body shop today for insurance work,

sum clown reversed into me at some traffic lights, no they werent in an auto and got reverse on way to drive, just came striaght back!

broke the bull bar, craked the bnumper fog lights and front grille.

if it wasnt for the bull bar there would have hardly been any damge

the bull bar though is being replaced with the new style one, which now covers the front fog lights!

Sadly, this is the way our world is moving.

They (as in city based wa...., oops, keep forgetting that's a naughty word in the UK, anyway, you get my drift) have been trying to get bullbars banned here for several years now, and it could still happen under the new pedestrian safety laws.

Absolutely bonkers in a country this size with wild and not so wild fauna running around all over the place. If I had a little Skippy silhouette on the mudguard for every one I've hit the 'fender would be black, not white, and the ferocity of the impact on several occasions would have left the vehicle totally undriveable without steel protection up front.

In the country here it becomes a safety issue. Unfortunately there is no way of proving how many injuries and lives a bullbar may have saved, although the animal impact statistics are incredibly high, and much, much higher than pedestrian impacts in the cities.

In the country here it becomes a safety issue. Unfortunately there is no way of proving how many injuries and lives a bullbar may have saved, although the animal impact statistics are incredibly high, and much, much higher than pedestrian impacts in the cities.

Cable tie a few pillows to your front bumper.

What difference does it make if you have a bull bar fitted or not. It's got 2 tonnes of Land Rover pushing i would be more concerned about that then it's bumper.

And if some TW*T drives into the back of me because 3 things will happern:-

1. Spare wheel in their windscreen.

2. Tow bar through their radiator.

3. That person has got to answer to my mrs!!!!

I wouldn't like no.3.

Yes - that's the one I wanted - the ABS plastic/rubber one. They are not selling them (they're out of stock after reducing them in price dramatically). And the Land Rover dealer claims that they - and any other reputable garage are not allowed to fit them as from the end of May.

If I can get hold of one secondhand - I can of course fit it myself, but the A bars are now discontinued - even though they are listed in the catalogue.

Duckworths have a few, they are trying to get shot of via e-blag Try Here

Same as i have fitted on mine,, they list them as the winch version mind ??

• 3 weeks later...

This is my understanding.

After the 25th May 2007 it is illegal to sell, or make available for sale any "Frontal Protections System" as it is now known, without an EU approval certificate. (definition of FPS is any structure or structures weighing more than 0.5kg fitted to the front of any N1 or M1 class vehicle above and or below the OE bumper intended to protect the external surface of the vehicle) M1 and N1 class is any passenger vehicle which carries less than 9 people and any light goods vehicle less than 3.5 tonnes.

It is NOT illegal to already have one fitted to a vehicle registered before this date.

It is LEGAL for you to buy one, if the person selling it to you had it thier possession and can show ownership, i.e. reciept for payment before May 25th and fit it to your car ONLY if it was registered before may 25th.

If your vehicle is registered after may 25th You can ONLY fit an EU approved bar.

It is not the consumer who will be prosecuted, it is the seller under the general saftey of goods regulations (UK law)

Winch bumpers are OK if they do not have an FPS attached, or if they do the FPS Must have a certificate of conformity and be tested to the new regs.

in 2010 it will become part of the MoT test that all FPS's fitted to vehicles must have an EU approval and be "e" marked, or the vehicle will fail the MoT

Landrover have Approved abrs for the Defender and Disco 3 and Rangerover, but not the Freelander.

If anyone needs part numbers let me know as they seem to have forgotten to tell any dealers.

We know the numbers because we make them.

We also make a legal bar for Freelander from 04-06. (www.endura-fps.com)

I think that covers it but if anyone has any more questions I'd be happy to answer them best I can.

• 2 weeks later...
Just what will the Health & Safety Executive ban next in order to save us from ourselves?????

It wasn't the HSE that banned them. I must admit that as a Health & Safety Adviser I get annoyed that everyone seems to be blaming the HSE for banning everything.

After the 25th May 2007 it is illegal to sell, or make available for sale any "Frontal Protections System" as it is now known, without an EU approval certificate.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest diesel_jim
Ninety per cent of available bull bars are actually illegal.

Is one of those sweeping statements like "95% of 4x4's never see mud?"

Solicitors who give car accident advice have for many years been calling for a change in the law. There are now plans to ban the use of bull bars on four wheel drive cars completely.

hmmm.... what about 4x2's.... :lol::lol:

The main hazard of bull bars: people slip underneath instead of over a car

The main hazard with bull bars is that when a normal passenger hits an adult pedestrian, the person is not run over but under, sliding over the car bonnet and the windscreen. When a pedestrian is hit, the body is punched away from them, then under the car.

Funny how this never came to light when there was a huge survey several years ago? but if a defender front end is flat, the same as an upright nudgebar, then what difference would it make?

and if the pedestrians wern't in the road to begin with then there might not be as much of a problem? :rolleyes:

So it's not illegal to *make* a bullbar, or modify an old one and fit it to your new car? Well that solves that one then :D

To all those who argue that a defender is a nasty thing to be hit with, bullbar or no, I would say I'd rather smack my head on an aluminium bonnet than a steel bar, and that's what these new regs are getting at - modern cars have all sorts of safety stuff around pedestrians and one of those is that the front bodywork is as flimsy errr, soft and squishy as possible so that dozy idiots can bounce off it and stay in the gene pool. Bolting a steel bar to the front removes the nice soft landing opportunities.

If you have an accident I think the major legal issue with any modification is if it contributed to either the cause of the accident or the damage done, although if you could reasonably argue that you needed a bull bar (and you had told your insurance co) I imagine you'd be OK.

Quite frankly if it stops tw*ts with chelsea tractors giving greenies more reasons to hate us I'm all for it - if only those who needed bull bars out of necessity had them I can't see that this situation would ever have happened.