Defender Propshaft Length

Paul

Can anyone tell me whether a 110 Defender front propshaft is a different length to a 90? Or, more to the point, is it a different length to a Series II Disco? I thought the 110 & 90 were the same at the front, just longer at the rear. :unsure:

I just bought a Series II Disco propshaft (the double cardan one) and fitted it to my 110, but it appeared a fair bit shorter. It does work, but there's about an inch of splines visible on the sliding bit. Looking at one of Tony C's photos in the tech archive, he wasn't baring any of his splines when he fitted the Disco II prop to his 90. :blink:

Paul :)

Edited to add some photos:

White90's Disco II propshaft:

IMG_0931.JPG

My Disco II propshaft:

P5120020Small.jpg

P5120021Small.jpg

So...how come that then?? :blink:

Is White90's a 300TDi and yours a 200TDi? bell housings look different

Yes, spot on Rob. But I thought the transfer box was in the same place on both models, just the engine being in a different location and compensated by the length of the bellhousing??

What's your VIN Paul ?

Can only surmise that the 200 sits the t/case further back than the 300. Stock shaft FRC8386 goes from MA939976 through to ZA612404.

You'll flog that thing out in no time, if you don't pull the splined section clean out of the shaft first. :o

BTW, did you fit greasable uni's to the double cardan ?

Best you send it over to NSW for proper care ;)

What's your VIN Paul ?

BTW, did you fit greasable uni's to the double cardan ?

Best you send it over to NSW for proper care ;)

VIN is a KA Rick. Yes, it looks like the 200tdi sits further back, which is a real PITA. Now I'll have to machine up a spacer and get some longer bolts for the diff end. :rolleyes:

I fitted a grease nipple to the slidy bit, bit not the double cardan. I figure once they chop out I'll replace them with greasables.

It was only $280, which I thought was pretty cheap by LR standards.

Yep a PITA all right :( IIRC the 200TDi bellhousing is 7 3/4", while the 300TDi is 12". However with the 1" increase in gearbox length on the R380 and LR moving the engine forward, there just aint no easy datum to work from unless you sit down and look at both a 200TDi vehicle and a 300TDi vehicle and measure everything :rolleyes:

I thought both gearboxes sat in the same place on Defenders just the longer 300Tdi bellhousings for the engine as it sits further forward.

did you measure the existing prop alongside the new D2 double carden prop before fitting ?

IIRC nearly all 90/110 fronts are the same length, some V8 one's maybe different length.

That's exactly what I thought Ralph, but the 200tdi prop is clearly longer than the DII jobbie.

With the rubber boot moved, I have 45mm of spline exposed past the end of the outer tube. I think I'll just make up a 50mm spacer for the diff end and that should just about do it.

sounds like a good price.

Have you had a vibration to necessitate the double cardan shaft ?

I seem to have been lucky with mine, and the LRA springs have sagged a bit over the years anyway, which helps.

I fitted a grease nipple to the slidy bit, bit not the double cardan. I figure once they chop out I'll replace them with greasables.

so the sliding spline isn't even greaseable on the buggers ? :o

• 2 weeks later...

mmm i have same problem.

Bought a DC prop (which i assume is D2), and its too short for my 110 '93 V8.

My assumption was that all 90/110's are the same, but the Disco has a shorter prop.

anyway, 50mm spacer for me too (wanna make 2 at the same time paul? :rolleyes: )

Incidentally mine is a genuine LR part but all 3 UJs are greasable....

I bought one of a guy on ebonk who breaks ex military 110s,it was 95mm short on my hybid v8 auto,I took it to Bailey Morris who charged £100 to lengthen and ballance it,I thought this was ok as it only cost £70 in the fist place.Worth noting also that his have the 4 grease nipples.

Incidentaly the first one I recieved had a faulty uj at the double cardon end,these are difficult to replace as they,re held in place by plastic injection rather than circlip,I phoned the seller who was most appologetic it had slipped through his quality control and replaced it by return of post! asked if I should post back the faulty one,he said oh I trust landrover people,just bring it to Billing if you come!.

• 1 month later...

Just to finish off this thread, I took the easy (cheap) option and put a spacer in to make up the gap.

Here's the spacer turned up out of a scap bit of alloy:

P7070027Small.jpg

Bolted up in place. Obviously 50mm longer bolts were needed too, which are the only bits I had to pay for:

P7070030Small.jpg

Just to added to other comments.

The prop lenghts ARE different from a 200 tdi to a 300 tdi.

As several people have said the bell housing is a different lenght, if you look at the seatboxes you will see the later 300 tdi one has a bulge below the handbrake to accept the front of the transfer box. Also the crossmember and gearbox mountings are different to accept this move.

I found all this out the hard way when I changed the rusted out chassis on my 90 which had a 300tdi fitted earlier for a new galvanised chassis and though I may as well get the right chassis mount etc for the engine and got the 300 tdi chassis then spent a while wondering why nothing seemed to fit right.

Not sure what a td5 is like, never looked to close yet.

Read this topic with interest. Anyone think that it is worth putting a thread in the Tech-archive that lists all the various LR Propshafts available. Sort of along the lines of a table Closed length / open length / standard fitment / known alternative fitment /part number ..... or something like that?

• 6 months later...