Mig Welder

smo

Anyone recommend a MIG welder for around £200? I'll be welding mild steel mainly, i'd imagin of fairly thin stuff, 2-3mm thick max really although capacity for more would be cool.

Must use or be convertable to big bottles as i'm gonna get a X sized argoshield in :)

Hi there are quite a few threads on mig welders here - have a search through this section of the forum. I think most of ithas been covered.

With that sort of budget (that's not an insult - its 200 quid more than I had to spend...) I'd be looking on ebay for something used from one of the non-hobby-type makes. You should find something pretty ok with plenty of amps for 3mm.

I guess this one will go higher in the end, but something like that is your target:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Murex-Tradesmig-165-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice, currently 100 quid (wont stay that way!): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUTTERS-MERLYN-240am...1QQcmdZViewItem

If at all possible, better to stretch the budget and end up with something solid that wont carp out on you. Replaceable torch, proper gas bottles, decent duty cycle, proper wire reels (15kg). Its all in the forum somewhere...

Cheers, Al. - Let us know how you get on?

Hope this in the right section been looking for some time a new MIG welder as the price of gas from BOC has gone though the roof

Wife came home with next weeks Aldi leafet, 130 AMP gasless welders £100 anyone with experance of "Gas less" use argon at present but costing ~ £150 pa (rental 2 bottles)

would prefer 150 AMp but would anyone with 130AMP let us know how thick can you weld. (present one about 100 amps but its old)

Hi Guys,

My Butters AMT1800 will be up for sale in about 3/4 weeks time. I'm emigrating to Canada and it's not worth taking with me. The welder is under 6 mths old and has only seen light use. Weld's 6mm plate with ease, you could weld 3mm all day.

See the spec's here : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Butters-AMT-1800-sin...VQQcmdZViewItem

Am open to sensible offers...

Cheers,

Andy

Well i bought it this morning, got the 175 mig with reg, Y sized bottle of Argoshield light and all the bits and bobs, also bought myself a nice speedglas auto-darkening helmet too :)

post-2053-1180111883_thumb.jpg

I've done a few mins of welding and after tweaking the settings a bit got the famous bacon crackle noise so guess thats all working ok....i'll post a pic of my first attempts EVER later when i've done some more but so far i've stuck a bit of box to some angle and no ammount of abuse has shifted it!