Bellhousing for R380 - minivin creation

Gazzar

I've noticed that Minivin has fabricated a short bell housing for the R380.

As I'm not that hopeful of ever finding one of the official FTC 4018 I'm wondering what work is involved in making one.

Lacking any ali welding experience, and with a dread of misaligning the various components I'm wondering if any fab shop could make one for me? What sort of demand would there be for ths part, would it be worth commissioning a batch?

G.

Gremlin,

Tell me more! How long is the LT77 bellhousing? Does it mate up with the R380? Who did the work on the input shaft/would Ashcrofts be able to make it all for me? Did you have front propshaft clearance problems?

Would you have any photos?

All guidance appreciated as I'm figuring it all out before I cut the gearbox cross member!

G.

How long i do no know but it did mate up with the r380. The mainshaft was modified by an engineering firm here (Malta). Propshaft clearance?? It was fitted in a 90 with a tdi300 and it all cleared well.

No photos sorry.

Grem

I guess you've searched on here, there have been several different threads with content on how to do an alternative version (including one in the classisfieds section, I think).

You want my opinion? Get the short input shaft from Ashcrofts (either rebuild the box with it yourself, or get them to do it). Then make a jig for the bellhousing which ensures the two faces are parallel and the correct distance apart, and the holes are correctly located. Cut the front face of a bellhousing that suits your engine, cut the rear face off a bellhousing that suits your 'box. Either take that to a fabricator / tig welder who can fill out the tunnel section with panels, or if you have the tools etc, cut (bend too? - not absolutely necessary) panels yourself, hold them in place on the jig and then get it welded up.

If you have no idea about tig welding, I'd suggest you do the former idea since you'll need to make all the joins good for a decent weld.

Well, thats how I'd do it.

Keep us posted. Al.

Guess what?

Ashcrofts have the bell housings in stock again. Just bought me a brand new gearbox and bell housing.

Happy man I am!

G.

Just had an email from Dave at Ashcrofts, the rumour is untrue unfortunately for those who still need one :(

Not yet, still busy with making gearbox mounts, control linkages et cetera. But once I have finished it I'll try and get something written up as at present the nearside fabricated mount works a treat, and the offside one shouldn't be too much of an issue so I'll be retaining my standard chassis mounts :i-m_so_happy:

Guest diesel_jim

Not wanting to horn in on the subject, but i've got an R380 to 300Tdi bellhousing sat in the garage gathering dust.

£15 if anyone wants it. :D

Yes, definatly bought one. FTC 4018, with gearbox was 825 + VAT.

Will be collecting before Billing.

G.

Well done! You've achieved what a lot of us have been trying for ages :i-m_so_happy: I unfortunately brought mine from Ashcrofts at ~£500+VAT, and only a week later saw one on Ebay with a bell housing sell for £550 :rolleyes: