Zeus timing gears

gelf

Just about to do a cam belt change on my 200 tdi....... and was just wondering if anyone has fitted Zeus timing gears instead?

Are they a good idea or do they have draw backs?

Some people here fitted them in the early days of the cambelt problems. Most of them now use belts again.... I think if you do a search on here there are probably stories!

Also they are horribly clattery at idle which would be enough for me to chuck them out without the other problems that sometimes crop up needing new crankshafts etc!

I had a set on my 200Tdi, they were fine until the injection pump was replaced 7 because the pump rear brackets weren't refitted correctly in-line the pump gear ran out of line & pre-loaded one of the idler gear posts which sheared off after a few 100miles, got myself home & stripped the zues gears off & refitted the original timing setup with a new belt, I will not be buying another set of gears, stay with the original timing setup & just change the belt every 55,000miles, 200Tdi's seem to be very kind to their timing belts I've never had one fail in service, all the life expired belts have looked just as good when fitted, no nasty marks or wear on them.

There was a big thread about this on the old LRE site a while ago now. The Australian rep for Zeus got into a very technical and interesting debate with Turner engineering, who had solid evidence of gear failure. One of the most interesting technical threads I have ever read to be honest.

Based on that thread, and some comments made eleswhere - I wouldn't recommned anything other than the original set up.

Les.

As others have said I ran gears for 11,000 miles and 14 months before the gears lost their teeth, sent swarf around the engine and the pistons hit the valves. There were also hair line fractures running through the casing. Zeus didn't want to hear about it ("Sir, if we'd have had any gear set failures we wouldn't be selling them any more"). I thought for a while about having the gears tested but the price of that would've been high (about £2k a gear) with no guarantee of getting it back so I decided to cut my losses.

If there is one company out there I have less time for than the North London one then this is it!