That was close!

Les Henson

How much longer before the inner bearing track friction welded itself to the stub axle - not long by the looks of it :o

med_gallery_2_28_376670.jpg

Even the inner bearing was dry. (the wet you see is WD40 I squirted in)

med_gallery_2_28_683414.jpg

The internals of the hub prior to removing the outer bearing tracks.

med_gallery_2_28_400707.jpg

Fortunately both the hub and stub axle survived.

med_gallery_2_28_1200767.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_1357733.jpg

Sad remains of the bearings.

med_gallery_2_28_476402.jpg

Moral of the story - a slight amount of play in the wheel bearing doesn't necessarily mean you should adjust them when you have the time, best make the effort and take a look :D

Les.

It puts me in mind of that fateful day on the road to Mandalay. The wheel fell off our steam powered rickshaw, the Raj was in turmoil and we were being pursued by hoardes of hostile natives. I heaved my trusty blunderbuss to my shoulder and loosed a mighty shot into the crowd. They hesitated for a moment then came foward once more, sabres glinting in the beating sun. We were out of ammo and prepared for a bitter end when I noticed the rickshaws wheel bearings rolling about in the dust of the track. As quick as a flash we had stripped the rickshaw of it's every last nut bolt and bearing , and so armed with it's mechanical guts we set about the rebel crowd, tearing them asunder with whitworth bolts and threads Imperial. It was a fine day, the rivers ran red with ATF and we returned victorious to Mandalay. To this day the skeletal remains of the rickshaw remain, enshrined as a memorial to those long past days of glory.

As I sit here now, unable to stir from my wing backed chair, racked by the tyranny of age, stinking of absinth and cigars, I can only give thanks that nowadays our fine lads have more reliabe transport, Hussah for the Land Rover :huh:

PMSL!!

What eloquent prose!

Eloquent, I shot one of those blighters in India, kept one of its legs as an umbrella stand

If you happen across a tripedal eloquent on your travels keep clear, firstly because he is still a touch miffed about the loss of one leathery limb, but mostly because he is somewhat less stable with less than the requisite number of limbs normally allocated to an eloquent.

Should you ever come to my estate, use the cooks entrance, she doesnt mind. - As long as you close it afterwards, she does suffer awfully from a draughty passage otherwise. If you bring a friend you shold be well catered for, cook does a spiffing spit roast. It has always been a joy for me to see cook on her hands and knees working some fresh pork.

Apple sauce anybody?

Bill - the inside of the axle tube is rusty, the previous owner had also put the wrong bolts in the rear hub on the other side, which is now buggered due to the bolts coming loose. I suspect the axle will be low or possibly empty, but until I get the new hub and bearings it's not worth me checking the level until the other side is done. I have removed the driveshaft and the nuts, tab washer, and the outer edge of the outer bearing is rusty, but this may be down to the drive shaft bolts being loose and letting water in.

Les.

Well the truck is a hybrid - 300TDi, LT77, 1.4 LT230, ? front axle, and Rangy classic rear axle. The custom exhaust was fitted badly and at the rear was both vibrating on the rear wing where it exits in front of the rear tyre and also on a poorly made exhaust mount inside the arch. The noise inside the truck was deafening as a result of this so there was no chance of hearing a noisy wheel bearing. :)

Les.

Well the truck is a hybrid - 300TDi, LT77, 1.4 LT230, ? front axle, and Rangy classic rear axle. The custom exhaust was fitted badly and at the rear was both vibrating on the rear wing where it exits in front of the rear tyre and also on a poorly made exhaust mount inside the arch. The noise inside the truck was deafening as a result of this so there was no chance of hearing a noisy wheel bearing. :)

Les.

I didnt realise you were working on one of my creations :lol::lol::lol: