NAS rear step bumper

ibexman

Still availible from the main dealers - I enquired about getting one on the new 110 - With the elcetrics and fiiting (pre delivery) they wanted £600 + :rolleyes: I declined.

I think they reckoned about £250 ish for the the step on its own.

Part number is STC50301 for 110 model year 99 onwards and STC50269AA for 90s

Is this a genuine LR part , where can i get one any idea of price

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

The genuine Nas rear step has a 2inch receptor. This is standard issue throughout the states for any vehicle (not sure about Jap but probably also). There is a 2 inch square internal box section welded into the step into which you plug your tow ball and lock with Ø5/8inch pin, part no. ANR2786.

When the Anniversary 50 Defender 90 came out in 1998 it had a UK equivalent with the 2 inch receptor removed and a plate with 2 holes Ø16mm to take a normal UK spec 50mm towball.

You probably need the Anniversary type for UK use.

Its for a 2007 110 are the rear crossmembers still the same????

The part number I quoted above (post 99 110) is correct according to my dealer as it was an 07 model fitment I wanted. So as long as its a post 99 then yes it should.

Its for a 2007 110 are the rear crossmembers still the same???? jaffabex@sky.com

NAS110 and NAS90 have different parts numbers for the NAS rear step, so probably different for UK spec? but knowing Land Rover will be year dependant. :angry:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but for PRACTICAL purposes, arent 50mm and 2 inch the same. I am running into the same thought processes....My US made boat trailer has a 2 inch ball receiver hitch. I like the looks of the UK style 50mm on the Land Rover. I think they are compatible.

Does anyone know of a good alternative step bumper that incorportes a towing hitch?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but for PRACTICAL purposes, arent 50mm and 2 inch the same. I am running into the same thought processes....My US made boat trailer has a 2 inch ball receiver hitch. I like the looks of the UK style 50mm on the Land Rover. I think they are compatible.

Does anyone know of a good alternative step bumper that incorportes a towing hitch?

Unfortunately Ø2 ins = Ø50.8mm, not a big difference but enough to not get a 50mm hitch on a 2ins ball and dangerous verging on the criminal other way round!

Then get the NAS rear step with 2 inch receptor and bring your ball fitting from the States which will fit the Nas rear step and pull your boat trailer with 2inch hitch.

Alternatively buy the Anniversary 50 UK rear step and a UK 50mm ball hitch and a 50mm trailer tow hitch and change the 2inch hitch on your US made trailer.

I bet that the Nas rear step is cheaper than the Anniversary and you have no changes to make.

I made my own ball hitch for the Nas, since I got the Nas before Land Rover made the Anniversary and the US do not make a 50mm tow ball to fit a 2inch receptor.

Clear as mud! :D

When you say NAS rear step with 2" receptor ( thats called a receiver hitch in the US) is that the same thing as the

STC50269AA step bumper? It is very hard to tell from the photo I have seen just what the configuration is for the attachment of the tow ball.

I am looking for something that spans the entire width of the rear of the Defender, with a step to allow me to reach the top of the canvas to handle the buckles and straps. Also, I plan to put a swing away wheel carrier on it.

The design of the STC50269AA is basically what I am looking for, or something similar. The existing, stock, rear bumper leaves the fuel tank exposed from the rear. Rear end collisions are common here, since the advent of cellular phones.

Ah right. From what I've seen and the Landrover parts list the rear step bumper has a plate with 4 pre-drilled holes that you bolt a tow ball to, that could be a 50mm or 2" ball.

The difference in part numbers seems to indicate that 90s and 110s have different rear crossmembers and therefore different mounting points - plus the 110 rear crossmember changed with the 99 model year.

As long as the mounting points matched the crossmember I can't see that UK spec or NAS spec would make much difference, except for the UK where approvals for towing equipment neccessitate the correct stamp / sticker.

Thanks for that info. So its the UK style tow ball, the one that makes the 90 deg. bend. Thats actually the one I think that I prefer. I am very accustomed to the square receiver-type hitches. But down here in the tropics, I think they are a bad idea. Anyplace there are two pieces of rattling iron in contact with each other with just a coat of paint separating them, its just Iron Oxide on its way to trouble.

The rear step has a plate with holes so you can put bolt any tow hitch to it (even a nato)

As seen here

PICT0411.JPG

bikini2.jpg

BUt when i got the truck to Aus and i bought a off road camper which had to tow hitch that moved and had to sit all round and over the ball (a bit i had to get another here so the off road camper would work properly

towhitch.jpg

Lancelin%20Dunes.jpg

BTW Saftey devices made the Land rover Gen ones so may want to give them a try

Thanks for that info. So its the UK style tow ball, the one that makes the 90 deg. bend. Thats actually the one I think that I prefer. I am very accustomed to the square receiver-type hitches. But down here in the tropics, I think they are a bad idea. Anyplace there are two pieces of rattling iron in contact with each other with just a coat of paint separating them, its just Iron Oxide on its way to trouble.

Nas90 part = ANR2786

I have had the Nas for 10 years and the 2ins receptor works very well for me with no slack. I have a tow bar with standard UK spec 50mm towball and also a 2 ins square tube with a welded pulling eye which I use off-road for pulling less fortunate drivers and vehicles out of the mud :D

Will send you some pictures.

I have a 2" square receptor style on our Ford 4x4, but the problem here is that the very soil itself is full of salt. If I wanted to remove the towbar part, I would have to slam it out with a hammer. Steel against steel is just going to rust away here.

Corrosion is a huge problem here.

I have now written two UK firms, and two US based firms, asking for info on price and availability of the rear step bumper with tow ball, a swing away tire carrier for a soft-top Defender 90, and a bonnet plate to cover the holes that will be left when I remove the spare wheel mounting hardware on the bonnet. I a also interested in a roll cage to replace the galvanized frame that supports the soft top.

Not one of the four has bothered to reply. Disheartening.

• 1 year later...

I personally hate bring old threads back from the dead but I'm not going to get flamed for not using the search function!

I want an American NAS spec rear step with the receiver hitch rather than the UK V8 spec one with 90mm centred holes.

The reason being I want to be able to swap it for a Nato hitch but also be able to use the 50mm ball on a drop plate at the front of the car for trailer maneuvering.

Some of the accessories for receiver hitches look cool too.

Anyone know if it is available as a part in the UK and also if anyone knows were I can get a steering guard with a reciever hitch that would be ace (like the scrapiron one)

These are manufactured by http://www.breedgroup.com/ which is where I got mine from directly (and reasonably priced too). And they answer both emails and the telephone. Given that I wanted mine in the UK I don't have the the version with the receiver but I'm sure they'll will tell you if it exists. (They also told me that they make the roll cages for the 60th anniversary rag top 90.)

These are manufactured by http://www.breedgroup.com/ which is where I got mine from directly (and reasonably priced too). And they answer both emails and the telephone. Given that I wanted mine in the UK I don't have the the version with the receiver but I'm sure they'll will tell you if it exists. (They also told me that they make the roll cages for the 60th anniversary rag top 90.)

Thanks for that I will try them. If not I know P&P make a rear step.