Steering Track/Drag links

What are people using for their steering arms ??

As seven sisters claimed yet another arm, (not the same vehicle mind)

This time on the Hybrid, fortunately Tangoman had a new spare one from the rangie, that was fitted , (Thanks JST, landrover 598, Victor etc ) in double quick time !!

So whats the best way of sorting this, QT's, Sumo, ???

I'm using 30mm square 3mm wall box, but I don't reckon it's quite as strong a sumo bar, have bent track rod slightly.

Have some Dan bars in the garage for fitting when I get a new track rod/drag link. Dunno how they will compare with sumo bars.

I have a Sumo track rod and standard drag link. I noticed the other day that there is a slight bend in the Sumo bar :o Saying that I was running standard (read little) tyres on the disco and have been winched out of ruts on my belly on more than 1 occasion. Don't suppose that is good for the old track rod!

I've got this nick thick bar that came from OEC International. I have no idea who made it.

I changed to this because I bent my track rod coming out of the Central Kalihari on our last visit.

Well really the diff and the QT diff guard did the bending after a heavey landing, the landing was all my fault, why the track rod didn't follow the rotation of the axle I have no idea.

I left the drag link until I fit the Discovery drop arm at some point.

mike

. . . not too strong as the TRE's will then be the weak link

I've often heard this, but has anyone actually seen a broken TRE?

I know that Jez has issues with the Volvo TRE's but we're not all comping in Russia at 40mph

Has anyone actually broken a stock LR TRE in UK conditions as a result of the steering bars being too strong, rather than rock damage or dropping the car onto it etc

Am using Sumo bars (from QT) on the disco after bending the track rod on lane from hell on it's first time out!

So far they have proved excellent.

Tim, have you got a steering guard on the front? Might be able to deflect the damaging scenery away from the drag link....

Cheers

Mark

Can you elaborate on the circumstances?

It was on a mates racer with a re-inforced track rod, few years back and I can't remember exactly what it was re-inforced with but it was a custom job like mine rather than an off the shelf sumo bar, in fact it propably pre-dates sumo bars. Think he hit a stump/rock, and it looked like the hit was on the track rod between diff and o/s TRE (ie the short side). Track rod retainer fitted to bottom of diff. The track rod bent a bit and so did the TRE with fracture starting to show where threaded bit joins the ball bit. Luckily it happened near end of lap and it held together long enough to get back to service.

I've got the Heavy duty rods from Paddocks on my 300Tdi disco, £85 for the pair, so far so good, I gave up on standard track rods after bending two in two months....

They seem to be well made and up to the job, but i did bin the crappy TRE's supplied and fitted good ones..

Tim, have you got a steering guard on the front? Might be able to deflect the damaging scenery away from the drag link....

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,, yep large alloy steering guard, on the front to project the drag link, and a large box section tube, being part of the 3 link, which the track rod runs through, on the back