Looking for recommendations for road tyres for a TD5 90

I have two sets of wheels, one with BFG MT and one with a set old cracking General Grabber TRs, both 235/85R16

I am going to start using the 90 as my business transport, and am looking to replace the old TRs with something else for higher mileage road use, keeping the BFGs for offroad.

Any recommendations or tyres to avoid?

A mate runs nothing but BFG muds on his Ibex, does about 60k on a set and then still sells them for good money to mud pluggers! Reckons if you buy a set on cheap modulars each time it's about the best system.

At the cheaper end, I'm really chuffed with my Colway AT's on the RR, they're a copy of BFG AT's but half the price.

I'd have a look at General Grabber AT2's based on what I have seen of them. I love my BFG AT's after having used nothing else on my Discoverys for the best part of 10 years now, but next time round I think I'll be going for the AT2s seems to be just as good a tyre and a very similar tread pattern at a useful cost saving.

Also look at the budget Kumho KL78 all terrains.

Pics of both available here http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/home.aspx

I had BFG ATs on my old TD5 Defender, excellent on the road and when I replaced them at 70,000 miles they still had tread left.

I don't know that I'd want anything with more of an on road tread pattern on a Defender than an AT. :D

I can recommend against the yokohama geolander at2 type tyre - they hold real nice in the dry but are nothing short of terrifying in the wet and totally useless in even the lightest of off road stuff.

I am running the bfg mud on the road for all uses and so far seem to be perfect, i used to run the bfg all terrains on road but found they wore out too quickly.

I am running the bfg mud on the road for all uses and so far seem to be perfect, i used to run the bfg all terrains on road but found they wore out too quickly.

eh? :blink:

AT's should last much longer than MT's on the road!

Although, if they are just for road use, I personally don't see the point in putting AT's on. No point in losing mpg and braking distance if not needed. Sure the harder compound will last more than a softer road biased tyre but is it worth it? I'm not sure. From my experience tyres like those mentioned below will easily last 40K+ miles

I would go for General Grabber's again, or even the Goodyear Wrangler HP's or the Continental M+S tyres, which were both good on the Range Rovers and lasted well.

Cheers

Steve

At the cheaper end, I'm really chuffed with my Colway AT's on the RR, they're a copy of BFG AT's but half the price.

I've got the Colway A/T's on my Rangey too. They've done 2 years use and several thousand miles, off-roading and Motorways and still look like new.

They were ablout £160 for the set from Craddock plus £25 delivery.

As long as i own Landys these will be my daily tyre. Period.

I've put them on 2 Discos, my Rangey and my Tdi 110 and they've been brilliant. They have a higher speed rating than some remoulds too.

• 4 weeks later...
Finally had them fitted today. I have gone for the AT2s so I will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks for all the help.

Martin

Sounds like a good choice Martin, did you stick with 235/85s?

I may need to do something similar as the 90 is soon to be my only transport and I'm not sure how long I can take the noise of the simex :blink:

Sounds like a good choice Martin, did you stick with 235/85s?

I may need to do something similar as the 90 is soon to be my only transport and I'm not sure how long I can take the noise of the simex :blink:

Trev

Yes 235/85/R16's on the Alloys that came with it. Seems quiet at motorway and town speeds, and stops considerably better than the MTs. Pulls away better too. Just feels more secure on the road. Haven't got them dirty yet so cannot comment on offroad!!!

Martin