Whats it look like???

Jon White

At sodbury i'm looking for an intermittant wipe module from a defender casue I want to put intermittant wipers on my truck!

I've found the part number, all the wiring etc etc, but the trouble is I've got no idea what the damn thing actually looks like! Can anyone help??

I'm guessing its a sort of relay shaped thing that probably sits in the defender fuse box next to the flasher units etc.

Can anyone either post a picture or describe it for me please?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Yeah but I'm after a 90 one - using 90 switchgear, and a 90 wiper motor, if I use the 90 timer unit then I can just wire it up per the 90 wiring diagram - simple!

If I cant find one at sodbury then I'll think about the vwp one.

Jon

would think the component is a standard package with standardised pin allocations, Land Rover or BL wouldn't have commissioned Lucas or made themselves a different item. Good luck ;)

Yeah but I'm after a 90 one - using 90 switchgear, and a 90 wiper motor, if I use the 90 timer unit then I can just wire it up per the 90 wiring diagram - simple!

If I cant find one at sodbury then I'll think about the vwp one.

Jon

Jon

I've got a spare relay I'd be willing to sell for a nominal sum,

also see the thread in the Tech Archive ref retro fitting to older 90/110. LR part numbers included http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=927 :D

would think the component is a standard package with standardised pin allocations, Land Rover or BL wouldn't have commissioned Lucas or made themselves a different item.

Rob - you're new to LR wiring aren't ya :lol:

Jon - have a good look at red relays, some will be what you're after but it's not unknown to have relays, lights-on warning buzzers, heated screen timers, glow plug timers, and missing ECU components :o housed in little red "relays". Should mention wipers on it somewhere or at least have "timer" or a symbol of a wiper on it... then again, knowing LR maybe not :(

Rob - you're new to LR wiring aren't ya :lol:

LR yes, but Messr Wipac, Messr Miller and Messr Lucas, 8 years of experience and climbing, so many parts commonal between different manufacturers and even types of vehicle (bikes, cars et cetera), Lucas metal brake light switch being a good one from the 60's where they swapped the internals around after removing a rivet pin to change it from N/C too N/O, same package and parts, different number stamped on it. Even the top of the range vehicle manufacturers brought the common stuff from Lucas et cetera as it kept their costs down (Lucas F700 BPF head Lamps, standard D-type dynamos, standard regulator packages, it goes on). ;)

Jon - have a good look at red relays, some will be what you're after but it's not unknown to have relays, lights-on warning buzzers, heated screen timers, glow plug timers, and missing ECU components :o housed in little red "relays". Should mention wipers on it somewhere or at least have "timer" or a symbol of a wiper on it... then again, knowing LR maybe not :(

Then there are the other items that are packaged the same as a standard relay & coloured red ...but are not a relay........ like the Flapper system diode pack :rolleyes:

Ian

Hmmmmm thats a good point - however am i correct in assuming the timer unit has 6 contacts (per the wiring diagram)?

Ralph are you going to sodbury??

Cheers

Jon

No I'm not, but I can post it,

Yep 6 spade terminals :D and it looks like this

Front face

intermittentwashwipecopy.jpg

terminals layout

File0107ab.jpg

hope that helps :D

Well I picked one up for 50p - lets just hope it works!

Only problem I've got now is which terminal is which? The defender wiring diagram I've got hows me how to wire it and numbers the terminals 1-6 - trouble is theres no indication on the unit which pin is which! Can anyone help??

thanks

Jon

Well I picked one up for 50p - lets just hope it works!

Only problem I've got now is which terminal is which? The defender wiring diagram I've got hows me how to wire it and numbers the terminals 1-6 - trouble is theres no indication on the unit which pin is which! Can anyone help??

thanks

Jon

Thought you said you had the correct harness, if so the relay unit will only fit in one position :D

Nope - far from it!

I've put PAS onto my series using 90 bits, including the column etc. Therefore decided to fit the 90 switchgear aswell. I've now aquired (thanks to Tonk) a 2 speed wiper motor, and also the timer relay thingy. I've got the 90 wiring diagram so was simply going to make my own loom to wire it all up using that as a guide. Trouble is I'd kind of assumed the pins would be marked 49a, 49b etc etc like normal relays are! Some hope eh? The wiring diagram I've got shows contacts marked 1 to 6 for this unit but gives no clue which pin is which on the actual unit!

I dont really want to go buy the proper loom as it'll need so much hacking about to suit my series its not worth it!

Jon

That or can anyone tell us what colour wire goes to what pin the photo Ralph has posted above, as I can work it out from there using the wiring diagram!

I did look to see if I could find the unit with the socket and a bit of wiring attached but no such luck!

Jon

Hmmmm that helps alot thanks Ralph, however the numbers dont tie up to my wiring diagram!!

Sigh.........

I'm guessing these are standard circuit numbers used on car wiring - I know that 31 is earth for example. Anyone know what the others are?

I've done a quick google and these look like standard wiper circuit terminal numbers - I've found similar for a Jeep CJ, but alas no indication which terminal goes to which circuit.....

Thanks

Jon

The terminal ident numbers came from simonb when I bought one of his early rear wiper intermittent relay kits, he mods the front relay to extend the delay time from 3 secs to 35/40 secs for the rear wiper.

this wiring extract from my workshop manual wiring diagram for Defender 1991 on

wiringdiagramrelay.jpg

items 83 is the intermittent relay

------ 97 is the front wash/wipe switch

------ 98 is the front wiper motor

------ 100 goes to the rear wash pump

------ 101 goes to front wash pump

the pin locations on item 83 can be seen so it should help you with building a harness/connections :D

:wub:

Thankyou!!! My factory manual doesnt show me that! It just shows it as a black box!

Right so it looks like:-

31 - black (earth)

31R - NLG (Brown light green) to wiper motor

15 - G (Green) switched ignition +ve

53C - LGB (Light gren Brown) Tee into washer pump feed

53E - YLG (Yellow light green) connects up to the same on the switchgear

I - WG (White green) connects up to the same on the switchgear

Sorted..........that ties up with all the wiring colours on all the components I've got and ties up with the wiring diagram I've got!

Lets hope it works.......

Got a bit of wiring to sort out now!

Many thanks for all your help Ralph!

Cheers

Jon