300TDi Power

Phoenix_chris

Hi all, im after your opinion on a few ideas..

Due to budget ive had to go back to a 300Tdi from a TD5, now i dont have a hudge budget, but ive seen some interesting performance upgrades.. The vehicle it is in is not a road vehcile, so fuel consumption is not a worry..

I know my Td5 stuff Ok but not too much on the 300, Ive listed a few things belwo, whats your opinions and experiances??

Full width intercooler

EGR Removal

Injection pump turned up

Straight thru exhaust (3inch?)

Hybred or larger Turbo ?

Tubular manifold

Propane or any sort of injection

Any other suggestion ?? ;)

Hi all, im after your opinion on a few ideas..

Due to budget ive had to go back to a 300Tdi from a TD5, now i dont have a hudge budget, but ive seen some interesting performance upgrades.. The vehicle it is in is not a road vehcile, so fuel consumption is not a worry..

I know my Td5 stuff Ok but not too much on the 300, Ive listed a few things belwo, whats your opinions and experiances??

Full width intercooler

EGR Removal

Injection pump turned up

Straight thru exhaust (3inch?)

Hybred or larger Turbo ?

Tubular manifold

Propane or any sort of injection

Any other suggestion ?? ;)

Vnt

uprated pump and injectors

Head work

dynamic balence on the botom end

Or just changing the head gasket and having the injectors cleaned can make a good improvements added to you earlier suggestions.

Go for a standard size high-flow intercooler as they're far cheaper and generate almost the same power as a full-width one.

Mine's been done by Brunel Performance. Speak to Jon.

I've also had my pump tweaked. This was done before the intercooler was fitted and will be further tweaked next week post-intercooler. A bit of an arsey (and expensive) way to do things, but I now know the effect each mod has had.

I'm told, but can't confirm (yet), I've got around 155bhp.

I also ran some Wynn's Injector Cleaner through and was pleasantly surprised by the improvement. Well-worth £5!!

I've got a K&N and it does improve the throttle response but keep it clean, otherwise it doesn't do much.

Mid-box has been taken out but that's it exhaust-wise. Hasn't made much difference.

I don't have EGR.

Can't comment on the rest. I'd be interested in your findings.

A Turner performance head is something I don't want to think about as I know I'll want one if I find out more....

mmm..

Jon's just fitted a intercooler to one of our 90's at the Billing show, seemed to make a nice difference...

I did find on the TD5 the full width intercooler made a huge difference, interesting how it doesnt seem to do too much for the 300 tho...

Dirsty Diesel, sorry to sound thick, whats VNT (im thinking turbo but cant remember)and what does the dynamic balance involve and do with regards to performance ?

Cheers Chris :)

Guest diesel_jim
Does anybody make a TGV style bolt-on variable nozzle turbo for a 300Tdi? i.e. one that does not require lots of electronics to control it.

The complete manifold can be swapped over can't it? TGV turbo an' all?

Thinking about it pheonixChris, is it just the engine you're changing or the whole vehicle?

looking at the amount you're going to spend on Tdi upgrades, a Td5 chip and intercooler is about £800 if you pay cash to the right people, and thats the job more or less done.

and more power from a Tdi.

obviously if you'v got to change vehicles then thats a different matter as it'll be a PITA just to change engines.

The complete manifold can be swapped over can't it? TGV turbo an' all?

Thinking about it pheonixChris, is it just the engine you're changing or the whole vehicle?

looking at the amount you're going to spend on Tdi upgrades, a Td5 chip and intercooler is about £800 if you pay cash to the right people, and thats the job more or less done.

and more power from a Tdi.

obviously if you'v got to change vehicles then thats a different matter as it'll be a PITA just to change engines.

alread done a huge amount to our TD5, intercooler,EGR,straight thru exhaust,hybred turbo,chipped and K&N - i love driving this vehicle but due to circumstances out of my control i have to sell it, hence going back to a TDi in a much older 90 :(

The downside could be you do all those things mentioned above then watch as it blows head gaskets and drinks fuel

what are you intending to do with it?

what do you want the power for?

motorways work?

the costs of the mods you list would negate selling a TD5 by far.

the tech archive here has the original post from John re upping the power of the 200-300TDIs

after that Turbos etc will take the cost onto a new level.

Does anybody make a TGV style bolt-on variable nozzle turbo for a 300Tdi? i.e. one that does not require lots of electronics to control it.

Try Allard Turbo sports. VNT tuurbo fit for 200/300 tdi at £1300 +vat quite a good website. cheers stumpy :D

The downside could be you do all those things mentioned above then watch as it blows head gaskets and drinks fuel

what are you intending to do with it?

what do you want the power for?

motorways work?

the costs of the mods you list would negate selling a TD5 by far.

the tech archive here has the original post from John re upping the power of the 200-300TDIs

after that Turbos etc will take the cost onto a new level.

i know the cost would outweigh it on some mods, just interested how far a 300Tdi can be pushed

then as far as your wallet is deep.

ported head -£500+

VNT Turbo £1300

Propane injection £1000+

intercooler- £500

o ring block- £200+

or

adjust FIP yourself from £0

loose some exhaust boxes £20

wind up boost to 18psi £0

fit larger intercooler from a scrappy £50ish

free slowing airfilter £40-50

What you have to remember about the 200/300 tdi and tuning is that for what you gain, you will lose. No matter how much you spend on it it is a 2.5ltr Di unit with four cylinders.

If you want mid range gains you will lose out on bottom end, if you want bottom end you will lose out on top end etc. Compensation in the form of higher boost requires a better turbo or propane injection. Fitting a cooler with out a tweak will cause ERG problems as will winding up on boost delivery to the max.

Water injection is excellent on the 200Tdi but not so useful on the 300. NoS works superbly on Tdis!

Despite being able to ring in excess of 1000hp out of a 6 cylinder tractor lump, I have simply done mild tweaks to my 200tdi as in well built, well serviced mode it is hard to beat a standard 200Tdi Disco lump.

Dump the EGR unit, clean the 'cooler out, lose any nasty restrictions in the exhaust, chuck on a free flow cleaner and see how it runs. Then look at minor tweaks to the pump. If you upgrade to a bigger 'cooler then tweak it some more. Avoid excess black smoke 'on boost' demand and off boost. Playing with the waste gate to bring in the turbo sooner works a treat.

Everyone above is totally correct - you can spend a lot on a Tdi and you can get a lot of grunt out of them but you will compromise the life of the unit. For cheap mods I'd tweek the pump and turbo a little, gas flow the standard intercooler (this is what JE do as part of their stage one tuning), port the manifolds so they match the head, loose exhaust boxes (the rear one should go first), fit a decent filter element, loose the EGR and FIT AN EGT GAUGE!. You can go crazy with propane, high boost, studded heads, balanced bottom ends, uprated pistons and conrods, big VNT (Varible Nozel) turbos, modified timing and so on but you effectivly create a race engine which means you'll dramatically shorten engine life. For a weekend warrior that might be fine but that's not so good for a daily driver.