Changing R380 Gearbox

Jason2

Chaps!

Got any top tips for changing R380 gearbox and clutch on a 300tdi???

Does front exhaust section have to come off? If so how do you get the kin thing off (3 studs) with out breaking them? Heat?

As it looks like I'l be doing it on mi tod, was thinking of taking transfer box off and have made a gearbox craddle that I can put on a palet truck to lower/higher gearbox, any thoughts?

Ordered clutch plate,housing,bearing & fork doo dar, have I missed anything?

What about changing spigot roller bearing in crankshaft?

Any thing else any bod would like to share, things to watch out for etc.....????????????

Cheers in advance :)

Jason

Chaps!

Got any top tips for changing R380 gearbox and clutch on a 300tdi???

Does front exhaust section have to come off? If so how do you get the kin thing off (3 studs) with out breaking them? Heat?

As it looks like I'l be doing it on mi tod, was thinking of taking transfer box off and have made a gearbox craddle that I can put on a palet truck to lower/higher gearbox, any thoughts?

Ordered clutch plate,housing,bearing & fork doo dar, have I missed anything?

What about changing spigot roller bearing in crankshaft?

Any thing else any bod would like to share, things to watch out for etc.....????????????

Cheers in advance :)

Jason

Does anyone know if the spigot bush (bush that holds primary shaft in crankshaft) is standerd on all models?????

Paddys only list for petrol (note same ref for all vehicles)

http://www.paddockspares.com/search.asp

and I want one for a 300tdi!

When I took an R380 out of a Discovery (no ramps and only an engine crane and trolley jack!) I just split the exhaust just by the side of the gearbox and managed to wiggle the exhaust out of the way because of the flexible joint there is in the front section.

There is temptation to split the two boxes, but remember that the transfer box is the one that has the mountings on it so you will have to support the main box once the transfer box is removed. Also there is an oil seal in the tranfer box that runs on the output shaft from the main gearbox; This can be difficult to align (when you put the transfer box back in) without damaging the seal.

Lack of room around the back of the hand brake drum can also prove a problem, so you will have to go down and back or up and forward in small stages.

Can't think of anything else now. :)

HTH

When I took an R380 out of a Discovery (no ramps and only an engine crane and trolley jack!) I just split the exhaust just by the side of the gearbox and managed to wiggle the exhaust out of the way because of the flexible joint there is in the front section.

There is temptation to split the two boxes, but remember that the transfer box is the one that has the mountings on it so you will have to support the main box once the transfer box is removed. Also there is an oil seal in the tranfer box that runs on the output shaft from the main gearbox; This can be difficult to align (when you put the transfer box back in) without damaging the seal.

Lack of room around the back of the hand brake drum can also prove a problem, so you will have to go down and back or up and forward in small stages.

Can't think of anything else now. :)

HTH

Good to know that andyb-Thanks :)

I Have'nt got a engine crane so looks like the transfer box will be coming off, will make some studs out of threaded bar to try and guide the box's off and back on!

Good to know that andyb-Thanks :)

I Have'nt got a engine crane so looks like the transfer box will be coming off, will make some studs out of threaded bar to try and guide the box's off and back on!

Well box out :)

Ended up binning my gearbox cradle and taking the whole lump out in one with a beam through the car holding it up with a rachet strap,then another 2 holding front of gearbox and transfer box onto the chassis.Turned out to be the best way as I dont have a ramp and could just lower it down onto the deck.

Waiting for re-con box and new clutch to be sent out now from U.K

• 2 weeks later...
Well box out :)

Ended up binning my gearbox cradle and taking the whole lump out in one with a beam through the car holding it up with a rachet strap,then another 2 holding front of gearbox and transfer box onto the chassis.Turned out to be the best way as I dont have a ramp and could just lower it down onto the deck.

Waiting for re-con box and new clutch to be sent out now from U.K

Hi

Got my new gearbox Tuesday night, fitted & operational by Wednesday evening "Sound as a pound" Smooth gear change,less whine/noise feels like a new car!

Re-con gearbox,new clutch Kit,spigot bearing,arm & changed the front swivel balls whilst I was waiting for my new box to arrive.

Not hard, long and drawn out out getting all the bits off/on, used rachet straps to get Gearbox/transfer lump off & on single handed,took a bit of time but no problem.

I can HIGHLY recomend for gearbox's

http://www.4x4gearboxes.co.uk

They were the only people that could collect exchange old box from France after first trying the well know suppliers.First class service, also advised me to change the transfer pinion (for a crossed drilled one) if need be and would only charge me if I used it.Which I did as the main shaft was well worn and she was a bit clonky before.

So the old girl should be O.K for a couple of weeks now!

Thanks once again for the advice.

Jason