TD5 Airflow meter problems

Chris Abel

I’ve got problems with my disco eating air flow meters, I’ve put 4 new ones on now in the last 3 months :unsure: !!

Apparently it’s because the airflow meter gets damaged with the additional volume created by the Remap, safari snorkel, straight through exhaust, K&N filter, JE eng intercooler, boost pressure controller, and EGR removal kit.

The guys at hunters landrover suggested finding an up rated airflow meter to handle the extra airflow where do i get one of them from?!!

Has anyone else had this problem?

As has already been said, the oil in the K&N filter kills the airflow meter.

As it's a hotwire sensor, it coats the wire and dulls it's performance.

(There is a wire inside which is heated to approx 120 degrees, as air passes over it, the current required to

return the wire to 120 is what the ECU uses to establish air quantity/volume/speed).

You can try cleaning them with carb cleaner and then dry thoroughly with compressed air.

(Once the oil has been baked on though, it makes it difficult to clean them properly).

Apparently it’s because the airflow meter gets damaged with the additional volume created by the Remap, safari snorkel, straight through exhaust, K&N filter, JE eng intercooler, boost pressure controller, and EGR removal kit.

Hmmm, sounds like b*ll*cks to me. I don't know what the construction of the MAF is (anyone got a piccy?) but I'm struggling to see how it could be damaged by air. :unsure:

One thing I would try is reverting back to a normal air filter to see if the K&N is letting too much carp through (they do let more through than a paper filter), if it does the trick just fit a bigger (EG 110 V8) filter housing and paper filter.

Edit: Of course, forgot the K&N is oiled, what a very bad idea :rolleyes: fit a paper filter or just a non-oily type ;)

Hmmm, sounds like b*ll*cks to me. I don't know what the construction of the MAF is (anyone got a piccy?) but I'm struggling to see how it could be damaged by air. :unsure:

One thing I would try is reverting back to a normal air filter to see if the K&N is letting too much carp through (they do let more through than a paper filter), if it does the trick just fit a bigger (EG 110 V8) filter housing and paper filter.

Edit: Of course, forgot the K&N is oiled, what a very bad idea :rolleyes: fit a paper filter or just a non-oily type ;)

Just took the airflow meter off and it looks like new :huh:272223653.jpg

Sorry the picture is not too great, i used my phone.

What’s even more strange, put the airflow meter back on and i thought i would see if the engine would run without it connected :o It did!!, I took it up the road and there were no problems with sudden drops in power. It drove like it had a brand new airflow meter :D !!!!

Will i cause any harm by leaving it disconnected ?

not a LR related example - but....

the air flow meter died on the wifes old fiat 1.8. ran like a bitch, wouldnt rev, kept cutting out blahblahblah :ph34r:

unplugged the air flow meter and it ran fine!

turns out, that the ECU with no AFM input goes into a default mode and just guesses at the figures. Seemed to run fine so i thought "sod it" and just used it without the AFM. This lead to the engine running really lean and burning a hole in teh top of one of the pistons........

not saying thats what'll happen on your engine, but... :ph34r:

not a LR related example - but....

the air flow meter died on the wifes old fiat 1.8. ran like a bitch, wouldnt rev, kept cutting out blahblahblah :ph34r:

unplugged the air flow meter and it ran fine!

turns out, that the ECU with no AFM input goes into a default mode and just guesses at the figures. Seemed to run fine so i thought "sod it" and just used it without the AFM. This lead to the engine running really lean and burning a hole in teh top of one of the pistons........

not saying thats what'll happen on your engine, but... :ph34r:

The Td5 defaults to a leaner mixture with a dud AFM (at least on the ones I have seen) and you notice a real loss in power. Of course being a diesel the leaner mixture produces lower EGT not higher (as would be the case in a petrol engine) so it isn't dangerous it just feels like a 2.5 naturally asthmatic :)

I can't understand how more airflow with all your mods would damage the AFM. I know people who race with TD5's and are getting 225 BHP from them after a bend over and touch your toes visit to Jeremy Fearn. I would be questioning the quality of the new ones... or phoning Mr Fearn for his advice, as he tweeks TD5's within an inch of their life all the time.

I can't understand how more airflow with all your mods would damage the AFM.

It doesn't, it's the dealer talking bulwarks - pretty sure it'll be the K&N oil killing the hotwire :rolleyes:

Silly diseasal things, if you had a proper engine with a MAP sensor none of this would happen :ph34r:

It doesn't, it's the dealer talking bulwarks - pretty sure it'll be the K&N oil killing the hotwire :rolleyes:

Silly diseasal things, if you had a proper engine with a MAP sensor none of this would happen :ph34r:

There is no diffrence in power with the AFM disconected.

Ive spoken to JE Eng about the problem with the AFM and they had no idea (they did the first remap and intercooler) I called Allisport and they said it was quite common with the chipped cars, and i asume that the majority who have remaps put a Hi flow oiled air filter on ;)

Why dont they make stuff simple anymore <_<

Next week ill fit a new AFM and Genuine air filter, hopefully that will last more than a few weeks!!

Thanks for all you Help.

Chris.