Ta ta Land Rover

Roverdrive

Courtesy of the BBC News web site -

The chairman of India's Tata Group has confirmed that he is interested in acquiring Jaguar and Land Rover from their parent, Ford.

Speaking to Indian TV, Ratan Tata lifted his previous refusal to speculate on a possible Tata bid for the legendary British brands.

He said Tata's interest in Jaguar and Land Rover stemmed from a desire to expand its global presence.

Ford has said there is a more than 50% chance it will sell the carmakers.

Tata Motors relies on the Indian market for more than 90% of its sales.

Expanding frontiers

Mr Tata explained that any thoughts of taking over Jaguar and Land Rover were dictated by the need to change this concentration on one market.

"It is to give ourselves scale, to give ourselves global reach," he said of the potential bid.

Ford says it has already received a number of offers for the two UK divisions.

Analysts have been expecting a private equity buyer to emerge as a successful suitor for Jaguar and Land Rover.

Hmm not sure how to feel about this one.

IMO the Defender types days are numbered whoever buys the companies. But the rest of the range is sold and marketed on a perception of quality and prestige. Seriously, how many wealthy punters in the market for a prestige 4wd like a RangeRover, Disco or a prestige car like Jaguar will opt for an Indian owned and possibly made marque. Toyota have been top of the automotive heap for decades now, and have built a reputation for quality and reliability, yet even they have had a tough time breaking into the prestige market with their Lexus range. For right or wrong prestige buyers want German or British.

Bill.

I know little about large scale business, but it seems to me that LR would be better owned by Tata - a limited, but successful in their own sphere, motor manufacturer than a "private equity buyer" who will look on this as purely a way of making a quick buck...

TwoSheds

Rock and a hard place on this one. Will the perception of Jaguar / Land Rover as a luxury brand be diluted by being owned by an Indian company, whose main marken was the Indian sub continent - yes.

Private equity buyers are looking for a profit.

Land Rover would probably provide this, although with the current climate of 4x4 bashing, this may not now be such a good investment.

I would expect them to try to hive off the Jaguar side to a third party, which will be difficult given the close ties in showrooms, and the joint manufacturing at Halewood.

Courtesy of the BBC News web site -

The chairman of India's Tata Group has confirmed that he is interested in acquiring Jaguar and Land Rover from their parent, Ford.

Speaking to Indian TV, Ratan Tata lifted his previous refusal to speculate on a possible Tata bid for the legendary British brands.

He said Tata's interest in Jaguar and Land Rover stemmed from a desire to expand its global presence.

Ford has said there is a more than 50% chance it will sell the carmakers.

Tata Motors relies on the Indian market for more than 90% of its sales.

Expanding frontiers

Mr Tata explained that any thoughts of taking over Jaguar and Land Rover were dictated by the need to change this concentration on one market.

"It is to give ourselves scale, to give ourselves global reach," he said of the potential bid.

Ford says it has already received a number of offers for the two UK divisions.

Analysts have been expecting a private equity buyer to emerge as a successful suitor for Jaguar and Land Rover.

Hmm not sure how to feel about this one.

Of course LR is finished, as a company it has buried it's head in the sand for far too long, and as a result churned out vehicles that are way too planet unfriendly. They thought they could ride the anti 4x4 wave out but unfortunately they cannot. Until and unless they drastically improve their green creds LR and the green oval will be no more...watch this space...

Of course LR is finished, as a company it has buried it's head in the sand for far too long, and as a result churned out vehicles that are way too planet unfriendly. They thought they could ride the anti 4x4 wave out but unfortunately they cannot. Until and unless they drastically improve their green creds LR and the green oval will be no more...watch this space...

Re reading what I wrote last night I do sound a bit harsh - but what I think I was trying to say was they are losing the PR battle against the anti's who seem to me to have gained ground in the debate against 4X4's and this will eventually impact on sales.

I love LR vehicles but unfortunately not everybody does and if things continue and the unreasoned argument of the antis continues to gain credence sales will start to fall. LR really should start though to look at what their vehicles churn out in terms of CO2 if only to regain there green credentials - other wise I really am afraid we will see theri demise.